D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2020, 09:03 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Sorry for this off-topic question Anders, in your case do you also need to change/swap the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster to make it work properly with the `new` diesel-specific sending unit that you just installed? Is the fuel gauge part in the cluster also diesel-specific, partly or in any way?

(I`m just trying to figure out what to do with my ``once gasser then td- swapped`` 745 car`s annoying fuel gauge. It doesnt work correctly, it actually works the opposite way: showing empty when full... and vice versa; or not showing anything at all, until either fully full or fully empty. )

I do have four full clusters from other 700 cars,
one of them is from a 146k 1987 780 gasser v6 Bertone, the other is from a 242k 740 gasser appr 1985-88, and I have a cluster from a factory TD 1985 740. ((And I have the cluster from the 442k TD which belongs to my daily car--I DONT KNOW WHETHER OR NOT IT HAS THE CLUSTER FROM THE GASSER 1986 740 B230FT OR NOT. MAYBE IT IS FROM THE DONOR 85 TD CAR-- but I think I can see an orange wire that sits in the third spot of one electrical main joint which is glowplug related so I think the cluster is NOT from the donor td car and it simply got the glow feature created by v8.)

These 4 instr clusters look Very similar but have differences in wiring and solder connections are at various spots But the fuel gauge part looks identical in almost all of these clusters. I thought of swapping the fuel gauge part and see. But the secret may be in the fuel tank sender unit differences of a TD car versus a Gasser car?
Thank you for reading. tyt sending your ideas if too busy with the nice build. Sorry for the offtopic question again.

Update. Oh, I realized your build is not a 700 but a 200 car.
As far as I know all the 240 fuel sending units read all the same resistance full/empty.
Now the 740/760’s ect.. I do know there is different values on the senders, when I did my 1991 745 diesel swap I went to install the diesel sending unit and it measured just the opposite of the original gas sender.
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745