D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Well I finally found some time to trouble shoot the Volvo. Here's what I did:

I bought a primer bulb and installed it between the hard line and the filter. I used clear fuel line so I could see what was going on (look for air). I evacuated the air from the line so it attached to the filter head without any air in the line. I was not able to move the fuel with the bulb -- I simply couldn't squeeze hard enough. When I stopped trying to squeeze the bulb I had a bubble form where the clear line attached to the filter head. If I raised the bulb above the level of the filter then I would get another small bubble and then another and that would happen every 20 seconds or so (I'm not sure if this is expected or not - but I didn't expect it).

Next I evacuated the air from the clear hose with the bulb again and tried to start the car with the bulb installed. It would not start and the bulb did not collapse. The bubble appeared again and it did not move at all when the car was cranking.

Next I evacuated the air from the clear hose again and disconnected the other end of the hose from the hard line and submerged that end in a can of diesel (bypassing the car's tank and hard line). The outcome was the same. I could not hand pump the fuel and I could not start the car or collapse the bulb. The bubble that formed where the clear hose attached to the filter did not move at all.
Supposedly the previous owner had the IP rebuilt 8500 miles ago with the rest of the engine.

Any ideas? Also thanks to all for your help so far.

Brett