D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2015, 06:04 AM

Default Another hard-starting thread...

Greetings. I've read the hard-starting sticky and think I have a glow plug problem, but want to get your thoughts.

Outside temp was 50F to 60F the last couple days.. Cool but not bad. I turn on the glow plugs until the light goes off (7-8 sec?) then engage the starter. The car starts immediately but runs horribly rough for 30 sec or so; goosing the accelerator doesn't help. After it smooths out a bit it feels sluggish for a mile or so.

Sound like glow plugs?

I haven't noticed any smoke but have not made a point to look, either.

I just had the injector pump resealed by a local shop with Volvo diesel experience. He recommended replacing the two GPs that are below the pump so we did that.

It started fine for a few days, but the ambient temps were warmer; 70F or higher. Is it that enough warmer that I wouldn't notice bad GP's?

Is it likely that the new plugs might have failed so soon? I don't have the part numbers for the new GPs but presume they are correct as the shop is experienced with D24's although they have not worked on one in a few years.

Car is a 1982 245 with 106k miles. It was dads, and was driven very little for the last few years until I brought it home in August. Since then it has run great and started very easily every time. This was with ambient temps in the 60's to 80’s F.

ill be contacting the shop but thought I'd check here for your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

-Tom in SoCal