D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 AM

Default From D24 to D24BTIC VW LT -84

As title says with several abbreviations; here's a new project to make our clubs VW LT d24 n/a car-hauling-van more powerful and efficient. The project is located in Joensuu, eastern Finland.

First up the car:

Some parts for the exhaust manifold:

Some welding required, wait... only 3 inputs?

What a cute Garrett, GT1544!

Now something familiar, d24 n/a spare head, now one can see where we're going with this...

Parallel dual small turbo of course!

Size comparision to the one close to original turbo:

What will be on the top of the LT? A fiberglass race car!

That is air cooled! Constructed to 6h endurance races, this should warm up Jasons heart! With 800kg minimum weight and 163hp dynoed (and tuned up a bit afterwards) this one's sure to go faster than any d24t (at least on LT van...)

I'll post more pictures as the project advances, cheers!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:51 AM

One more today, first chandellier ready. This is used as a template to find out that both manifolds will fit in their places, as this setup should be symmetric. This one's sure to fit as the front exhaust part of the head, but we'll have to test if the downpipe will clear the engine bracket as a second set of manifold. Thankfully, the exhaust parts are quite open in LT van, and as our vans head was replaced 2 years ago, the bolts should unfold quite easily.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Owner/admin

Man I'm so jelous of you guys and the LT trucks over there. I would LOVE to have one of those car haulers to take my bug to the race track, or anywhere else for that matter. What size engine is in the race car? Looks like a set of dual Dellorto carbs on there and an MSD distributor is see..

Post a video of the LT when you get it done, I'm interested to see and hear how the dual turbos perform...

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Race engine specs from "bottom to top" even if it's quite flat: Autolinea mg case, CB 82mm crank, Webcam 86c with CB ultralight lifters, CB 5,5" rods, Wiseco 94mm pistons in Mahle cyls, CB 044 43x38 "guru-ported" with 52cc chambers, Bugpack 1.25 roller rockers, dual 45 dell's, MSD 6AL, full-flow with oil-thermostat and added external cooler, kennedy stg1 with kush-lok clutch disk. CR 10.4:1, driven on 98E fuel. Breathing added to fuel pump and valve covers. Phoenix header with big dynomax + dual bugpack silencers.

Quite like "internet-engine" but with lots of detailing and thought to make it last 6 hour races flat-out. The car sure is louder in the inside than outside - track regulations allow only 95dB measured half a meter from the exhaust with 4500rpm.

One video of the race car from the dyno is on Youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_2n39hKQmk Then it had mahle pistons, different cam and too high compression rate etc, resulting in broken exhaust valve after 1,5 hours of race.

That LT truck is quite an odd piece of finnish car regulations. Normally all the vans of that age (-84) has only the permission to drive 80kmh if there's no ABS and airbags. But there are expections: animal care vans, (cars for transferring dead people, don't know the word?) and for some reason, car-hauling trucks are allowed to 100kmh (62mph) if their total weight is under 3500kg. Then they are also allowed for people with passenger car driving licence.

LT cabin is quite nice as it has plenty of room for 3 persons, mobile freezer, good audio and great visibility. It took about 20kg of different silencing materials and front bearing change to allow conversation inside

Yesterday I found that my manifold is bit too big, I have to cut it "lower" about 1cm and tilt the turbo a bit downwards to make them fit to both the places.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Looks great! Interested to hear how the twin turbos turn out. I am working on adapting a VNT to my D24T to achieve the same effect (quick boost response in low end while still having good flow in top end). Curious to see which way works out better.

I was born in Finland (Helsinki). Glad to see a member on here from there!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Owner/admin

George your originally from Finland??? Wow learn something new every day.

That 86C webcam makes great power.. I ran one in my 2332cc engine untill I changed to a different profile when I went turbo. I was running 1.5:1 ratio rockers though, almost .600" lift at the valve.. A little much for a long distance racer. My car was ocassional street use and drag racing pretty much.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!