D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Items Wanted

Old 05-02-2022, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: Pinzgauer 716
Default Tool rental or purchase

Hello all.
I am in central Florida and am looking to all tools required to do the timing belts.
I will buy or rent depending on cost.
Thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2022, 07:54 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

The tools do show up on ebay from time to time but can never predict when they will, and it's usually a single one-off tool at a time rather than a full set. Certainly can happen though. Best way to find them is to search on the tool numbers (usually a 9995xxx). You can find the complete list here on the forum by searching or also in the Volvo greenbook for the D24T engine, which is an important resource to acquire if you don't already have one. Those are easily found on ebay or books4cars.com.

Sometimes you can get lucky if you visit some local independent Volvo shops or longtime Volvo dealers and can find one that has the set of tools, hasn't used it in decades, and is willing to sell it. Some of us have lucked into tool sets that way.

Baum Tools in Florida still had some of the tools available for sale new as of a few years ago but at high cost. Nevertheless they might be worth a call, not sure if they still supply them.

Other than those options above, buying (at least without waiting patiently a long time for stuff to appear on ebay) is probably not realistic as the tools are hard to come by at best. Better to plan on finding a fellow forum member willing to loan or rent. There are a few of us who offer that. See the Tool Rental section on the forum. Volvoist has a complete set for rent and I have a spare set that I make available to loan out for free, although I require a large security deposit (usually $4000-$5000 depending on which and how many tools needed) representative of their value and difficulty of replacement. The deposit is to ensure they are returned to me promptly and without damage and is fully refunded as soon as that happens. The borrower also pays shipping both directions of course with full insurance. My spare set is currently out on loan to a fellow in Canada but I expect to see them back within a month or two. If that works for your timeline then feel free to reach out to me directly to make a plan.