D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 09-19-2015, 08:14 PM

Default Consequences of letting the injector pump leak

I have an 82 245 Diesel. The injector pump leaks a bit; enough to leave a bit of fuel on the ground and make a bit of a mess on the engine. The car has ~105k original miles.

Other then the nuisance issues associated with the mess, is there a downside of driving the car without reselling the pump?

Forcexample, there are several hoses running underneath the pump. Will the diesel oil cause them to degrade or fail?

Anything else?

I'd like to drive the car for a few thousand miles before I pop to have the pump resealed if possible.

-Tom in SoCal
Old 09-19-2015, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default strong liquids. and im jealous of your mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
I have an 82 245 Diesel. The injector pump leaks a bit; enough to leave a bit of fuel on the ground...... is there a downside of driving the car without resealing the pump?
Diesel fuel on plastic and rubber parts is definitely to be avoidable as much as possible.
Coolant hoses don`t like it for obvious reasons.
Same is true for all detergents/chemicals (engine degreasers,engine shine etc) whatever that makes chemical contact with the rubber other than dust or clean water.
Diesel engines are often oily greasy leaky what they should NOt be at all. Try keeping it neat and locate the leaks if any. I like looking under the car prior to every trip so there`s absolutely no engine guard under mine... (might help with cooling too but the main reason is to see what gets on the pavement and where. and when. and how much.)

Mine has very thick-wall, stiff heater hoses under the pump which HAS been dripping `some` fuel here and there but nothing crazy. It`s been going on for a few years (=1000s of miles) but luckily never an issue of a blown/cracked hose. It mainly occured when I switched pump diesel to biodiesel back and forth. The seals didn`t like that. BUT, you could try getting some true b99 biodiesel and run it through your pump from a jar to see if it helps the seals normalize temporarily)

Diesel on hoses isn`t good. There is always a high(er) risk of failure (or yes even a total engine loss) when this condition persists. If your hoses haven`t been replaced for many years, it is always a great idea especially after resealing the pump.
Kits are available for the job that is not as easy as it sounds but at least not too expensive (around $40 i think). (resealing)

PS. In my opinion, if pump constantly looks a bit wet only, not more, you might escape with the bio but you said you see fuel reaching the ground. That might be too much of a fuel leak. Especially when throttle is wide open at higher rpms. Your mpg may improve after the fix, lol. Try checking your fuel hoses at filter connections and even at the injector return lines, the banjo bolts, ip clear hose too etc...you might* find it out not being the pump itself. As a first step you may clean the area and inspect on a regular basis. Problem is that all that fuel(-vapor) crap keeps flying all over with the draft, landing on engine parts as you drive.
Rear belt too hates getting dipped in diesel, but at least nothing major happens when that one breaks. Other than a towing bill.
I hope this helped some.

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-20-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 AM

Thanks Red; very helpful.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:37 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Other then the nuisance issues associated with the mess, is there a downside of driving the car without reselling the pump?

Forcexample, there are several hoses running underneath the pump. Will the diesel oil cause them to degrade or fail?
Yes, precisely this, the fuel dripping on the coolant hoses degrades them and they soon fail, causing rapid coolant loss. Catastrophic overheating usually results. The early death of (too) many D24s.

Quote:
I'd like to drive the car for a few thousand miles before I pop to have the pump resealed if possible.l
Gambling. I would not.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:02 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

If you must drive car with that leak present (savings account attacked by wife) then at least fabricate a sensor into your overflow/expansion tank to alert you immediately* when a hose decides to call it quits. It`s not always a slow leak. Driving on highway it`s almost impossible to notice when/if a hose breaks. By the time we see that very fishy temp-gauge jump up (-if it still functions at all-)...it is already much too late. What a terrible feeling. The remaining coolant boils up Superfast and you guess what happens. I almost had that. A level-sensor is such a great thing to have. I wish i had it!
I`ve been constantly planning installing one too... a great brick-life insurance it is. Always handy,even when all your hoses are new. A must have. Mr Volvo unfortunately was cheap to include it in the package in exchange we got leaky sunroofs, radiators with brittle Plastic nipples, biodegradable wiring harnesses, sagging headliners and fancy electric antennas that dont work 99percent of the time. :O)) !

Last edited by RedArrow; 02-05-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:25 AM

Thanks again all.

this may be more costly than I'm prepared to take on at present... Will need to consult with the CFO.

Very helpful info.

-Tom in Ventura.