D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 06-10-2021, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 1982 245-GL D6, 1982 244-GL D6
Default VE Injection Pump Fuel Pressure Gauge

I am looking to install a fuel pressure gauge on my '82 240 D24.

Is the pump input banjo bolt (coming from the fuel filter) the best location for the sensor?

What PSI range is appropriate?
I've found ISSPRO gauges in the following ranges: 0-30,0-40,0-60,0-100 psi.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:39 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

What kind of pressure are you trying to measure? Internal injection pump operating pressure? Or external fuel supply pressure TO the injection pump?

For the former, I am not sure where/how you would want to install a sending unit. It would need to be a fairly high pressure gauge. It would be interesting to watch the internal pressure temporarily but not sure how useful it would really be as a permanent installation.

For the latter: remember, there is no external supply pump (at least on a stock Volvo diesel vehicle) so pressure anywhere upstream of the injection pump is zero. Or actually it is negative, suction. If you installed your gauge at the IP inlet banjo it would read nothing all the time, unless you have add a non-factory electric lift pump somewhere?

Measuring supply fuel pressure like this is pretty common on many diesels that do have lift pumps and especially on ones with different injection systems that are in some cases extremely sensitive to insufficient fuel supply. Maybe this is what gave you the idea? Typically this would be on Dodges/Cummins with the VP44 or P7100 pump, Fords with the 6.0L Powerstroke, and GM with the 6.5L engine. On those kinds of vehicles a fuel pressure gauge is a great idea and very valuable since any loss of fuel supply positive pressure can mean instant catastrophic destruction of thousands of dollars worth of fuel injection system parts. Personally I have one on my Cummins rig and watch it all the time in a paranoid manner, AND I have a loud alarm in the cab that sounds off if supply fuel pressure falls below 5psi. This is after replacing a $2000 injection pump on the side of I-90 earlier this year.

BUT on the VE injection pump systems like the Volvos have, a fuel pressure gauge wouldn't really serve any purpose. The VE pump is highly reliable as a source of its own fuel supply and not sensitive to fuel supply pressure like the models above, thus doesn't rely on a lift pump at all. All it needs is an unrestricted fuel line and filter that it can pull through without excessive effort.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 1982 245-GL D6, 1982 244-GL D6

Mostly, this is just part of my never-ending quest to make the inside of my wagon resemble a plane cockpit full of gauges, haha. (as long as it has a practical application, that is)

Yeah, I got the idea from reading through a bunch of Dodge and Cummins forums.

So, a sensor installed at either the inlet or outlet banjo bolt on the injection pump of a d24 NA would serve little to no purpose and provide no indication of pump failure, leaks, etc..?
Old 06-11-2021, 09:02 PM
Supporting Member

A vacuum gauge at the IP fuel inlet could indicate when the fuel filter is clogged.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:17 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Yeah, good idea, that would provide some benefit. Kind of like the "fuel filter" restriction warning idiot light some of the old pre-Powerstroke diesel Fords had.

Or if you added an aftermarket lift pump, as some folks do, then a pressure gauge at the IP inlet (like the Cummins guys do) would inform you of whether that lift pump was working as intended, and any loss in pressure would inform you of filter condition.

But the lift pump isn't needed and thus neither is the gauge to monitor it. And arguably since a lift pump is not needed, adding one (and/or the gauge) only introduces one more potential failure point into the system. Some people add lift pumps anyway, and it is true that some corner-case arguments exist for them -- easier fuel filter changes, easier repriming of the fuel system if you run the tank out of fuel, etc. But if you add a lift pump and then the lift pump fails and blocks fuel flow, leaving you on the side of the road, then you're worse off then you were before without it.

If you have room for more gauges in the dash pod, I think oil temperature and pressure would be more helpful options? Battery volts maybe if you don't have it already? Altitude? That could be fun to watch.

Tags
bosch, d24t, fuel gauge, fuel pressure, injecton pump