D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 07-31-2021, 01:58 AM

Default another dash unit fitted

hi all
i have fitted the dash of my donner car into mine , it has 169000 miles on clock
im trying to finally resolve the temperature gauge fault i have , well on start uo the gauge goes to 10 o'clock when cold then rises steady to 12 , could my problem be the temperature sensor at the front behind the radiator. or is there something else that can cause this problem as im confident this dash unit and my donner car have genuine milage according to service history,
all comments welcome
regards jim
Old 07-31-2021, 09:10 PM
Supporting Member

Could be the sensor, the wiring, the circuitry in the instrument panel, the grounds, etc. The circuitry in the instrument panel itself is prone to cold solder joints, stress fracturing, and ribbon cable breaks.

Is the "new" one acting the same as the old one?
Old 08-01-2021, 10:39 AM

Default temperature gauge

thanks for input NGOMA i now have 2 good dash panels plus 1 part dash panel . when i plug them in the temperature gauge on 2 does not move at all .the latest 1 goes straight to 11 o clock and stays there . all the other gauges work fine . i have just removed alternator and bracket from donner car so next is to test the temperature sensor some how is that ok ?
Old 08-02-2021, 09:47 AM
Supporting Member

You have at least two other threads on the forum dealing with testing the temp sensor, why reinvent the wheel?

https://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?...ghlight=sensor

https://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?...ghlight=sensor
Old 08-02-2021, 11:06 AM

Default temperature gauge

well Ngoma
with just getting another D24 940 auto be it with a broken cam shaft maybe there is something on the broken car i can test on mine i swopped the dash back to my original dash they are both doing the same things , going to 11 o'clock from a cold engine on start up and staying there i have removed the temperature sensor from behind the alternator bracket today so may swop that when i get the time ,case of keep trying to find the fault !
Old 08-02-2021, 03:59 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
case of keep trying to find the fault !
That's right, have to just continue ruling out the possibilities until you find the one that is causing the issue.

Let me see if we understand exactly what you are seeing.

One gauge cluster, the gauge does not move at all, regardless of what happens.

With the new (used) gauge cluster from the donor car, the gauge rises to 11:00 but then hangs there and does not respond to engine temperature.

Correct?

In that case then yes your next move would be to go ahead with testing and/or replacement of the sending unit in the cyl head behind alternator bracket. (UNLESS you have the sensor mounted low down in the coolant tee where the return from the injection pump cold start tstat comes in? I believe some later D24TIC cars had it there, watch out to be sure you are dealing with the right part!)

You are making progress, sounds like you will get it figured out, a parts donor car always helps with providing free parts for testing!
Old 08-06-2021, 09:42 AM

Default Temperature gauge

hi all
i spoke to the guy who i had my douner car off today regarding faulty temperature gauge he said his played up too so i now have 3 clocks all doing basically the same thing does this tell me the fault is not in the dash or is this a common fault in the wiring on these cars 1995 year ?
Old 08-06-2021, 08:04 PM
Supporting Member

Well if all three gauges were exhibiting the same wrong behavior I would normally say the odds point to the problem being outside the gauge, i.e. either the sensor or the wiring. But if your donor says that gauge was not reading correctly in his car, then.....? All bets are off???