D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2020, 09:58 AM

Vehicle: 740/745 D24T will be mine again soon
Default 2.0TD into 1987 VW Quantum Syncro Wagon

It's been years since I've been on here!

I'm going to start my diesel conversion project this weekend, putting a 1983 2.0TD (I think it was from an Canadian Audi 5000) into my 1987 QSW. I'll log my progress here and will take some pictures this weekend after beginning the work.

I've had the 2.0TD running on a stand (six years ago) but am going to take it apart and inspect everything, installing new rings, bearings and seals as needed. I miraculously found a spare rebuilt head six years ago if there's major problems with the current head and have already gathered gaskets and seals.

A few things I'm still considering and/or still need are:

Finding an alternator bracket that will fit the passenger side so I can move the gasser alternator from the driver's side making more room for an oil cooler, larger radiator and possibly an inter-cooler. I know I can fabricate one but would prefer an original part.

Plumbing a coolant outlet on the back of the head that will constantly flow coolant back to the thermostat thus keeping hot water flowing through the head when the heater is off. V8VOLVO had some good input on this several years ago when I was considering this project.

Finding a spot for the battery, possibly in the space created by moving the alternator or moving it to the rear of the car, opposite the spare tire.

Replacing the rust rotted oil pan with the one from the 2.2 gas engine, if it will fit, or just brazing the pitted pan until a 2.0 pan can be found.

This is going to be a months-long project and I'm beyond anxious to finally be starting it. The car is located 100 miles from my home in a nice concrete floored shop and I plan on working on it every weekend.
1985 Volvo 745 Wagon 2.4TD (sold but still maintain it)
1987 VW Quantum Syncro 2.2 (converting to 2.0TD)
1996 TDI Passat
1997 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.5TD
2006 V10 TDI Touareg