D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: 1985 744 D24T M46
Question Rough idle/smoke @ cold start

Hey guys, I'm having an issue at cold start where the car takes a few minutes to achieve smooth idle and produces lots of blue/gray smoke. When the car starts, the idle is violently rough for the first second or two (almost dying), but after a few seconds becomes more stable and RPMs increase. A few moments later it is relatively smooth and up to cold start RPM (around 1300) but I can hear one cylinder missing. This clears up after a few more seconds and then I have no more issues with misfiring/performance.

Potential issues:

-If I don't cycle the GPs a few times, the car takes excessive cranks to start
-I've adjusted the pump to limit dark smoke under acceleration, but am getting a grey haze (I'm colorblind but it isn't black, white or blue)
-Since flushing the coolant system I've had to add a few gulps of coolant to get the res back from min to max. This seems within spec to me after draining/refilling coolant but would be indicative of a problem obviously if it continues.
-IP has a small leak at cold start lever arm. It will make a few drips, usually when the car is first started.
-I haven't been able to checked compression yet (need to make an adapter) but engine runs strong other than starting issue.
-Coolant exp tank does have a lot of pressure in it, even hours after driving

What work I've done

-Adjusted valves, all within .02mm
-Set IP timing to .90mm
-Set cam timing
-New GPs
-New wiring harness
-New fuel filter
-Good battery (idk what group size but its large, 1000 amp)
-WP, Timing + IP belt replaced, tensioned to spec
-Later model GP relay
-All fuel return (braided, oem) lines new
-New eBay turbo, bigger compressor, stock turbine housing @18psi
-I am monitoring EGTs

Am I pissing in the wind until I rule out the leaky IP? As far as I can tell it is leaking only from cold start lever area. HG/compression are concerns, but too soon to be sure, and car runs strong once up to speed. Greenbook says to test pump for leaks rig up a fuel source above pump and start, but this seems to be more related to diagnosing rough idle when running than a fuel/air leak when starting cold. Would it be worthwhile to do this test even though the car only runs rough the first few seconds? Obviously this is a 30 year old car and there could be a multitude of issues, but I'd like to confirm it is the pump causing the hard start before I spend bucks on rebuilding it. Apologies if there is a lot of unnecessary info here, wanted to be thorough with everything I've noticed. Thanks!