Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2021, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 1986 745 D24T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Completely off-topic (sorry) ... BUT VERY IMPORTANT:

Be careful what you do in the mornings (even on a warm&sunny Summer morning)! I read words such as `coldstart`, `morning`, `RPM`, revs, `climbing a hill` etc.
I really hope that you normally start the car and let it idle for at least 10-15 minutes before climbing hills or getting on any road that has speed limits above 50KM/H. Raising RPM to 2300 soon after the diesel got coldstarted is NOT OKAY, also equally NOT OKAY even if you simply idled without the car moving. Not to mention attempting climbing a hill with a coldstarted diesel engine at 2300 RPM.
Maybe you missed telling us that you let it idle before taking it on that ``test``.

Driving these cars `hard` when cold, is recipe for serious trouble and recipe for very very premature wear internally and will affect major engine components.
A coldstarted diesel engine will not stay healthy for too long for those who drive their cold diesel too hard or simply too `early` (not waiting for it to warm up which usually takes 5-8miles of **gentle** low-RPM driving OR min 10-15mins of idling (often, even longer stationary idling itself won`t even warm up the car to operating temps), but all of this can vary based on temperatures, climate etc.
<snip>
I beg to differ. Actually, I more than differ. I adamantly state that this is hogwash. I absolutely never idle any of my cars, including my Diesels, before doing any of these "prohibited" actions, and I don't get any premature engine wear either. In fact, it's actually detrimental to many engines to idle them, either cold or hot. Don't do it. Start the car and drive away and don't worry about how you drive it.

Tom Bryant