D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 06-01-2013, 01:28 AM

Vehicle: ´89 760 GLE, D24TIC, ZF 4HP22
Default AW71 swap

Is it possible to swap AW71 for d24tic ? zf4hp22 what I have is too weak...
Maybe with BW55 bellhousing ? I have found this guy who have it http://d24t.com/member.php?u=582 but no more info
Old 06-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I think this would be a pretty difficult undertaking with questionable benefits.... First off the ZF tranny is actually quite strong in terms of power capacity. I know Jason thrashed his with fuel and boost turned way up for a long time and never was able to break it. (He took it out and then proceeded to break two or three manual transmissions and at least one differential with the same engine that the ZF survived behind!) They also got used in V8 Land Rovers with much more power/torque and almost twice the weight of a diesel Volvo (turning 2 axles and 4 large tires no less), as well as in Jags with large engines, etc. They seem to be quite robust in terms of torque and HP capacity. The main ways they break seem to not be related to abuse from excessive power, but rather to failures relating to the "neutral creep" problem. They can be rebuilt to eliminate the flaws they have and I think the later-production units had those issues fixed from the factory (not sure in the case of your '89). Once their couple of flaws are addressed (or if those flaws don't arise), it seems like there is not much that ever goes wrong with them and they can last a very long time. My daily driver is an '86 745TD with over 295k miles on its original ZF with no problems and I've known of several others with similar mileage.

Second and probably more importantly, the AW71 swap would be pretty tricky.... even if you could succeed in getting a BW55 for a D24 and mating its bellhousing to the AW, which I don't think you could do because IIRC the bellhousing is integral to the BW55 and cannot be removed, you would have fitment problems because the BW55 was only installed to the D24 in the 200 series chassis, which uses a different installation angle than the 700/900 series diesels does.... this would cause the transmission to sit tipped over at an angle when installed in a 700 series. Then you would have the trouble of wiring up the circuit to run the electronic overdrive in the AW trans, swapping in a different shift lever and quadrant to have the OD button and AW shift pattern, shift points for a gasser AW71 might be wrong for a diesel, etc.

No doubt it all could be done with enough time and effort and money, but if you really wanted a different transmission and were willing to commit those kinds of resources to it, I would think that it would be a better payoff to start with some kind of more modern electronic trans (like maybe an AW30-43 out of a 960) and take advantage of benefits offered by electronic mapping of shift points, converter lockup in lower gears, etc?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
if you really wanted a different transmission and were willing to commit those kinds of resources to it, I would think that it would be a better payoff to start with some kind of more modern electronic trans (like maybe an AW30-43 out of a 960) and take advantage of benefits offered by electronic mapping of shift points, converter lockup in lower gears, etc?
Hello.
So is it possible for real to install an automatic transmission that is electronic in place of an older one? How will it work?
I believed that today all those parts are integrated to speack together all the time, like the gearbox's computer interacts with the engine's computer to know the gas' pedal's pressure, the air mass's weight, etc...
The same for ABS, ESP, etc. so that you can't trasplant a modern car engine into an older car, because it won't work.
How is that possible? The D24 is totally mechanic.
In wich ways the AW30-43, electronic gearbox, will be controlled?

In short, is that possible for real?
And what about to convert a manual volvo to automatic? In europe the 245 diesel was sold only with manual shifting
Old 05-05-2016, 04:08 AM
Supporting Member

Controlling of a electronic transmission behind a mechanical engine is the easy part, there is companies like PCS that make stand alone controllers for electronic transmissions. There would be some difficulty in the fitment of the AW behind a d24t, if an upgrade from the 4hp22 was needed there is an 4hp24. But all said and done I believe the 4hp22 could be built if needed to handle more power then a D24T could ever put out.
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 05-05-2016, 01:25 PM

ok,ok, i would go straight for the zf.
but it is something very new for me.

However which problem can occour about fitting a manual 245 diesel with a zf4hp22? maybe taken from a 700 series? To be clear: is it PLUG & PLAY?
Old 05-05-2016, 01:36 PM

Wow!
Besides the volvos, you guys opened me a Whole world!
Here in YUROP, autotrannies are still exotic. Kinda moronical, imo.

PCS sadly, covers only some AWs,... do you know the 850. V70 I and V70 II TDI what kind of AW mount?
Old 05-05-2016, 01:50 PM

SORRY! The enthusiasm brought me off topic.
This is the D24 forum, not the 5 cyl tdi...
That won't happen again.