D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 05-18-2022, 06:27 AM

Vehicle: 760 - D24TIC
Exclamation Help for a atypical noise/squeaking after changing timing belt D24TIC

Hi friends and greetings from Italy!

Here is my problem: about a month ago I replaced the SKF-branded timing belt at my trusted mechanic (including the SKF-branded water pump and idler pulley). The model of the kit bought is this: SKF VKMC 01040. On this occasion I also changed all the service belts marked BOSCH. In short, I made a nice service to my beloved 765.
The car drives like a wonder! the only problem is that when the engine rpm are at idle and the engine is hot, a slight noise / squeak coming from the engine is particularly noticeable in the passenger compartment and little from the outside (you need to open the bonnet to hear it better). I went to my mechanic and as he heard the aforementioned noise he told me not to worry. According to him the sound comes from the distribution belt and it is normal, with time and use the belt will no longer make this noise (he says it must stabilize...).
I have traveled no more than 350 km (approximately 220 miles) since changing the timing belt. My dear Volvo (1987) now runs few kilometers, because it is registered as a classic car.
Do you agree with my mechanic's analysis?

I thank you all in advance and greet you cordially.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:48 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Personally I cannot dispute your mechanic's analysis, if he says it is normal then it could be, but I can say that I have never heard a timing belt make that kind of noise before.

In my point of view any kind of abnormal noise or behavior from the timing belt would be a cause for concern and investigation so I do agree that it is worth looking into.

Here are a few questions I would be curious about.

1) Does the noise come from the front timing belt (cam) or the rear timing belt (inj pump)?
2) Have you or the mechanic checked the tension of both of those timing belts? I can see the possibility that a timing belt could make noise if it were excessively tight. The tension should be relatively relaxed on both belts, especially on a cold engine. As the engine warms up, the expansion of the block and head will cause the belt tension to increase, so on a warm engine you can expect the belts to feel tighter. But you should still feel some noticeable free movement in the belt. You never want it to feel pulled tight like a guitar string.