D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 04-09-2022, 07:50 AM

Vehicle: Pinzgauer 716
Default Pinzgauer d24

Hello all. First post for me but have been looking for a while. I am by no means a mechanic but I have twisted a few wrenches in my time. I am new to the 1996 Pinzgauer 716.
It seems the engine has developed a little knock and I believe it is an injector based on some of the threads and videos I have seen here.

I figured it would be best to first start and figure out what the engine is exactly.
How do I figure out what one I have so I may figure out a parts list. Any help is appreciated as I want to get this resolved ASAP so I can then move on to the timing belts. They are over on time but not on mileage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A68E9339-B8BB-4B2E-936D-49862B04CF74.jpg (23.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-09-2022, 08:35 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Welcome to the board, great looking truck! What is the history of yours, LHD or RHD, manual or automatic?

For determining the details of the engine you have, take a look at this sticky thread where we discussed the various versions of the D24 family engine over the years.

D24-D24T-D24TIC evolution and changes, year by year

Much of that discussion focuses on the Volvo applications for the engine but to the best of our knowledge, the same basic timelines apply to the other applications where the engine was used (Pinzgauer, VW LT, industrial stationary applications, marine, etc). I will paste below the basic summary of the timeline though there are more details in the thread.

Quote:
Focusing on the base engine design only, here also is a much simplified timeline of evolution. The D24/T/TIC family engine design falls into four basic categories.

Original design 1979-1980: Naturally aspirated only, with 11mm inhex non-stretch head bolts and corresponding configured block/head/headgasket. Solid lifters. Larger prechambers than later engines as well.

First update 1981+: Changed to longer, 12mm TTY "stretch" headbolts (some folks replace these with ARP or Raceware head studs). Solid lifters, and this basic design also was available from '83 on as a D24T turbo engine, with related changes as described in posts above.

Second update 1987+: Changed from solid lifters, mechanically adjusted with shims, to hydraulic lifters needing no periodic adjustment, although it can be a good idea to replace these lifters proactively at higher mileages as they can wear out internally. Available in this configuration as D24, turbo D24T, and turbo intercooled D24TIC.

Third update ~1995+: Redesigned front timing belt system on the very late production engines as described above.
If your truck is a '96 then it most likely should have originally come with the final revision style engine with upgraded timing belt system (means all parts on the front of the engine are different) and hydraulic lifters. You can confirm this by opening up the front timing belt cover and looking for a separate tensioner pulley just below the camshaft gear. If it has no tensioner there, and if you see slotted mounting holes on the water pump, then that means it has the older style system. Feel free to take pictures and post here and we can assist with ID of what you have. Your other visual ID step will be to determine if it has an intercooler or not. Intercooled engines use a different turbo, oil cooler, and injection pump.

Experience shows Pinzgauer applications can be more unpredictable in terms of engine configuration because many of the trucks had engines replaced during military service at one point or another, and the replacement engine could be from an earlier or later year than the truck, there have been known cases of this that can cause confusion. So making assumptions based on model year alone is not always a good idea, best to verify visually.

For sourcing timing system parts (for either new or old style system) many of us have had good luck purchasing from Brickwerks in the UK. Parts for the early style system are also available from retailers in the US, but if you have the late style system then buying from overseas will be your only option since the Volvos sold here in the states only ever had the old style belt config.

You may already know this, but something else to be careful of when sourcing parts for Pinz application is that they use a 24-volt electrical system. Therefore special 24-volt Pinzgauer-only glow plugs and injection pump solenoids must be used as the standard automotive spec 12V parts will be destroyed if installed in a Pinz and possibly cause collateral damage in the engine from melted glow plugs.

Last note, if you plan to undertake timing belt replacement (or plan to have someone else do it), make sure to be aware of the special tools and process required. Several members here with Pinz in the last few years have suffered tragic destroyed engines when they had supposedly expert, high-cost mechanics not experienced with this engine attempt timing belt replacement without the right knowledge/equipment. They made unforced errors that sabotaged previously healthy engines and led to major headache for the owners. It is not rocket science by any stretch, but it has to be done correctly and you cannot cut corners or get "creative" with it as many mechanics are tempted to do.

Sometimes we see a pattern on here, where those mechanics who have the greatest amount of experience/expertise are the most prone to fatal mistakes with the timing system. They believe they know their craft well enough that they don't need to follow the special instructions or use the special tools; they believe their own personal time-tested methods will work better/easier/faster than the factory procedures and equipment. Disaster always follows. Seems especially common occurrence with the Pinz trucks and those who endeavor to work on them. So if you take it to someone who seems to dismiss the need for those things and not be interested in the info, be careful.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:57 AM

Vehicle: Pinzgauer 716

Thanks for the info v8volvo. I will have a look as soon as I can.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:59 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Sure thing. We will be curious to hear what you find out.