Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2022, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: Lt31
Red face Filter? Solenoid? Fuse? Relay?

Fuel question-

Edit/update..

I cranked the auxiliary heat for a day or two-
Now no more stalling motor.

I’m presuming it’s because there was a small amount of water on the fuse box.

Last year I did substantial bodywork repairing rust etc.
Removing the windscreen.
I think when they put it back it was not put back correctly.
I’ve got a couple of small leaks still.
I guess I should find a windshield shop to pop it out and replace it-

Little bit afraid that it’ll be difficult to find a shop that will do that because I think they prefer to just put in a new windscreen.

Hi there

I have 1991 VW LT 31 with a 2.4 turbo diesel motor.

Recently after refilling, my motor would feel as if the fuel pump was turned off, if I let go of the accelerator and press it again… it would start again..

It feels like the electric solenoid is turning on and off.

If the fuel feels like it cuts off and the pedal is halfway to the floor, then if I push the pedal further nothing happens…
If I release the pedal and then press it again the Power comes back.

It literally feels as if the fuel has been turned off.

Not sure if there’s something in the fuse box that controls the power to the solenoid.

Or if there is water or dirt in the fuel..
Possibly clogged fuel filter..

Or, maybe bad ground.

If Anybody can recognize the symptoms please let me know

Thanks!

Last edited by Rederic; 12-17-2022 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Problem solved, solution posted
Old 12-13-2022, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

When running, the d24 injection pump needs constant 12Volts supplied to it otherwise the fuel shutoff solenoid will activate and block a running engine from running And similarly it would also block an engine even from starting (if no 12V to IP).
I am not sure this is helpful info in your case but worth a try seeing the pin on the IP and trace/track the routing of that wire and make sure your engine has perfect uninterrupted 12Volts (when the key is turned in position II , or/and when running).

The movement of the pedal is in relation to how much vibration is created (because of variations of engine rpms) so IF a bad wire is failing this could be affecting how/when/if the engine runs/cuts off. I would start by making sure that the 12V is constant and intermittent to the IP ( supplied when engine is running and/or when key is turned to II)

You can remove the pin and manually supply 12V using a wire that safely connects the battery and the IP, only to see if that was the source of the troubles of staying running.

(If fuel filter condition/age is unknown or if bad quality of fuel is suspected, you could also just add a new fuel filter anyways; but I doubt a 'clogging' filter is causing the symptoms you are experiencing... About water in fuel. I have never found water in my filters but you can use the drain under the filter to see if there was any... ... with these cars what's in fuel is usually AIR, not water )

Last edited by RedArrow; 12-13-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rederic View Post
I have 1991 VW LT 31 with a 2.4 turbo diesel motor.

Recently after refilling, my motor would feel as if the fuel pump was turned off, if I let go of the accelerator and press it again… it would start again..
I missed this before I wrote my reply. I am not sure I understand it correctly.

After refilling (pumping diesel fuel into the tank), the engine shuts off unless you play with the accelerator pedal?

Tags
filter, fuel, relay, solenoid