D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2024, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 940 D24TIC
Angry Pilot bushing

The pilot bushing currently in the crank is for an m90 with a 15mm inner diameter.
Im converting to ZF trans so i need to remove the bushing.
I cannot get it out how hard i try with all tricks so ill have to cut it. Do i really need to insert the bushing for the zf torque converter? Impossible to find.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:49 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

You have tried with a blind hole puller? They make specially for pilot bearings. I would be afraid to cut it for fear of damaging the crankshaft, but if you are careful I would guess you could succeed that way. Some people also have good luck packing the recess with grease and then carefully using a correct sized dowel to pound in and then make the grease force the bearing out, basically a hydraulic method.

Is there a pilot bushing for the ZF torque converter? I always thought they just slip in there and are correctly sized to the back of the crank. If there is a bushing, then you definitely do need it -- running without it could cause the torque converter to move with eccentric motion and that would destroy the front seal on the trans, or worse. I'll look at that engine in my shed again but I'm surprised if there is a bushing.

I would make the main goal getting the M90 pilot bearing out first and then measure the crank recess bore diameter. Compare to the pilot stub on the ZF torque converter. Hopefully they are the same and it'll slip right together.

If not, and if there really is a pilot bushing, I'm happy to pull one out of an automatic motor and ship to you. I imagine it wouldn't be expensive to ship internationally, as small as it is.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
You have tried with a blind hole puller? They make specially for pilot bearings. I would be afraid to cut it for fear of damaging the crankshaft, but if you are careful I would guess you could succeed that way. Some people also have good luck packing the recess with grease and then carefully using a correct sized dowel to pound in and then make the grease force the bearing out, basically a hydraulic method.

Is there a pilot bushing for the ZF torque converter? I always thought they just slip in there and are correctly sized to the back of the crank. If there is a bushing, then you definitely do need it -- running without it could cause the torque converter to move with eccentric motion and that would destroy the front seal on the trans, or worse. I'll look at that engine in my shed again but I'm surprised if there is a bushing.

I would make the main goal getting the M90 pilot bearing out first and then measure the crank recess bore diameter. Compare to the pilot stub on the ZF torque converter. Hopefully they are the same and it'll slip right together.

If not, and if there really is a pilot bushing, I'm happy to pull one out of an automatic motor and ship to you. I imagine it wouldn't be expensive to ship internationally, as small as it is.
Well.... i got it out but i had to cut with a dremel and i cut a small groove into the crank. I hope it wont be a big deal....
I am NOT replacing the crank so ill just ignore i.
The inside of the crank measures at 28mm flat and the pilot on the torque converter measures at 24mm flat so yes, there should be a bushing for the trans. The bushing should be 22mm flat deep also.
Now to fabricate one, how much play should the inner hole have? I was told 0,5-0,9mm so that would leave it at 24,5-24,9mm inner hole diameter. Sound right? I dont know.

Im unsure if you ship one to me since mine was so fckn tight in the crann you WILL damage it enough when removing it to render it useless. If not i will gladly pay you whatever it costs. But right now i think fabricating one sound like a better idea. It cant be THAT precise can it? Haha

The torque converter move even with the bushing in place as it is designed with the three fastening brackets being able to move on tq. So some play there should be. I guess it centeres itself when it moves?
Old 04-28-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I just looked at the photo on the other post and yes i can confirm 100% that there is a bushing that i do not have.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Could you measure the inside diameter of your crank? So inknow the exact inner size ill need the bushing to be?
Old 04-29-2024, 07:26 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I'll try. Not sure I have a tool that will give me a precise dimension but I will do my best and get back to you. Hopefully today.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise View Post
Could you measure the inside diameter of your crank? So inknow the exact inner size ill need the bushing to be?
You dont have a vernier calliper?

Tags
bearing, clutch, crankshaft, transmission