D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 11-24-2022, 11:41 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconup View Post
In the video, I'm holding the pressure tester at just below opening pressure. As you can see towards the end, a drop of diesel forms underneath the nozzle although opening pressure is never reached. Just so I have a good reference point when the new injectors will come: is this considered "ok" or even normal? Or would you say that injector too is bad?
Bad, don't accept. Nozzle must remain dry when held at just below POP. Rebuilder should know this. Is this the same shop that did the IP?
Old 11-25-2022, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: VW LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Bad, don't accept. Nozzle must remain dry when held at just below POP. Rebuilder should know this. Is this the same shop that did the IP?
Thank you @ngoma. No, it's a different shop and I completely lost trust in it after even the replacement injector was faulty. I will return the whole batch and buy somewhere else 👍
Old 12-04-2022, 12:04 AM

And so, after a full day of work at -1 degrees, I could confirm it was the pump after all 🤬

Here is a video taken yesterday of a cold start with the "refurbished" pump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l-emfG-GzQ

And here one with the old pump, taken after I swapped it back in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6QqJHvTogs

So much time wasted because of this.. at least I know what the problem is. It's a really bittersweet feeling though, since I spent so much time and money on this engine and I now know it should have started without hesitation on the first attempt almost a month ago. All this fiddling and letting it run as it did cannot be good, but it is what it is.

I'll now see what the seller has to offer but I'm leaning towards getting my money back and heading somewhere else 😕

Thanks again everyone for the invaluable tips, I likely wouldn't have managed without you guys 🙏
Old 12-04-2022, 10:18 AM
Supporting Member

So the injectors and the IP were both bad rebuilts, from different vendors? List them here to warn others to avoid them.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:35 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

That is a major bummer but very good to hear it runs well now and the mystery is solved. It sounds good and healthy!

There is hardly anything more frustrating (or confusing) than new parts that are defective. Especially difficult to deal with in a situation like yours, in a major overhaul where many things on the engine have been replaced all at one time -- very hard to pinpoint the particular guilty component when there are so many possibilities. Nice work getting to the outcome and thanks for sharing the whole story, it will be a good resource for others in the future.

Pretty sure you can be confident the engine will be fine in the long term, not likely to see any lasting effects from everything that happened. A good hard run once installed in the vehicle and after the initial oil change will certainly be therapeutic for it.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:16 AM

Quote:
So the injectors and the IP were both bad rebuilts, from different vendors? List them here to warn others to avoid them.
with pleasure 😤

Injectors were from here: http://www.bugetti3000.de/de/

And the pump from this eBay seller (from Latvia): https://www.ebay.de/str/neringsde
Old 12-05-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
That is a major bummer but very good to hear it runs well now and the mystery is solved. It sounds good and healthy!

There is hardly anything more frustrating (or confusing) than new parts that are defective. Especially difficult to deal with in a situation like yours, in a major overhaul where many things on the engine have been replaced all at one time -- very hard to pinpoint the particular guilty component when there are so many possibilities. Nice work getting to the outcome and thanks for sharing the whole story, it will be a good resource for others in the future.

Pretty sure you can be confident the engine will be fine in the long term, not likely to see any lasting effects from everything that happened. A good hard run once installed in the vehicle and after the initial oil change will certainly be therapeutic for it.
Thank you @v8volvo, your words are always comforting ��

I will now bring my old pump to a local shop for a general overhaul, I probably should have done this in the first place. I will give a (hopefully final) update once I get it back and have the chance of installing it back. Then, the engine should be ready to go into the car ��
Old 12-05-2022, 10:38 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconup View Post
I will now bring my old pump to a local shop for a general overhaul, I probably should have done this in the first place.
What is the indication for this? Actual fault? Leaking seals? High mileage? Sat extended period? Run on veg. oil?

Otherwise, unless the shop and technician is confirmed experts with verifiable recent track record, opening up the IP can create more problems that didn't previously exist.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
What is the indication for this? Actual fault? Leaking seals? High mileage? Sat extended period? Run on veg. oil?

Otherwise, unless the shop and technician is confirmed experts with verifiable recent track record, opening up the IP can create more problems that didn't previously exist.
No actual fault, but definitely high mileage and extended period of time sitting. I also suspect leaky seals given some stains at the back of the pump, and one of the fuel line "nozzles" (not sure what the word is for those) is a bit wobbly when tightening the fuel line to it.

I was also considering just using it as-is, but with everything else being in like-new state, I didn't want a pump leaking on me after the first few thousand miles. I surely hope the shop I brought it to will do a proper job. They are a Bosch certified diesel service center and every other shop where I live pointed me to them. Crossing fingers 🤞

In any case thank you for the hint, now I know they can still mess it up and I'll be on the lookout for problems.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:29 AM

Pump is back from the shop and mounted on the engine. Here's a final video of the engine running nicely : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-aIrUv3lA8

Thank you again @ngoma and @v8volvo for the help along the way. Forever grateful 🙏

Tags
d24tic, injectors, misfire, pump