D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom > The Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 AM

Default Pics of my VW LT35 Transporter

Here are some pics of my Volkswagen LT35 Truck its a car transporter which has basically been saved from the grave and shares the same variant of D24 engine some of you have in your Volvos

Here she is before the resto I had owned her about a year and thought I would tidy her up

Started diggin too deep and look what we found (I should have known better that to start proding too hard!

So to work stripping her down

Here is the old DW D24 lump which was removed and sold it was a goodun too

On with the repairs and metal fab etc

Old 12-30-2009, 07:09 AM

Here is a donor van I bought to use the parts off of. It was actually a good van prime camper conversion material but hey ho its now dead.

Done quite alot of mechanical work on her once I started I could'nt stop all the brakes shocks balljoints and sterring joints were swapped out

I retro fitted power steering from the 93 van to the truck its much more comfortable to drive now!

Also had the wheel shotblasted and powder coated to refresh it.

Here she is having some engine work done this was cambelt and waterpump etc on the old DW engine before the resto

See the mounting position in the truck compared with the Volvo setup....

The later engine with Hydrualic lifters ACT code

Wheels looking better with rubber on them

After some urgently needed welding I went to work smoothriting and waxoyling the chassis I was covered in it after two days solid work

Once all the prep and repair was done she was primed up for paint

Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM

Then the final touch painted in Mercedes Artic white

the arches/cab steps are much better now and will hopefully last a good while longer

And here she is back together I could have added more but fear I have probably crashed the server with the amount I have already added!!

And some work on her back to be getting on with.....

I am also a big Merc enthusiast so I tyhought I would be cheeky and add some pics not Volvos but tanks all the same and I love em here are a couple of snaps of my current/previous rides

This is my pride and joy I have owned her ten years although she is currently out of action think the ECU has blown!!

This one is sold but I hugely regret it spent alot of time getting her up to scratch!

This one was a beast 5.6 V8 with 312 BHP once again sold now

This is my daily ride right now

she is in desperate need of some rims all in good time Christmas has cripled me so I reckon rims won't be for a while until I find a good deal

Hope you enjoyed the pics and was'nt too bored with my rambling......

Si
Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 AM

Hellovalotawork mate !! Nice work too. I tip my hat to you.
You must have sailed through the MOT.
I can see why you want a nice engine to go into that beauty.

B reg. Is that 1984?

cheers, Steve
Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 AM

Hi mate yes she did sail through in the end funnily enough it was because I got stopped by the police as my rear lights had stopped working and I mean everything one night along parkway in C/ford they through the book at me and the truck was ordered off the road got given a prohibition notice ........the loom was rotting and had broken cutting power to the rear lamps so it started from there as I had to make up a new loom she ended up getting re-wired using the bulk of the loom from the later van and the rest was made up from scratch...

She is actually registered in 1985 but yes 84/85 is B plate.

Thanks for the comments Steve after all that I done to her most people would say why did I bother but I had my own reasons for it and I don't know why but I do like these old wagons.

Yes definitely want a better engine just so she has a bit more grunt for pulling up hills etc.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 AM

As you found out the hard way, wiring done in mid 80's, the insulation tends to crumble off, leaving you with all sorts of problems. Volvo's have the same problem. It seems the looms were made in France so blame the frogs ;-)

Steve
Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Owner/admin

Nice Job on the resto. I want one of those trucks... I wonder if any ever got into the US. Too cool and being D24 powered as well. All you need now is the turbo engine, and maybe a nice chrome stack behind the cab for all that great D24T sound and smoke to come from... What kind of transmission does that have?

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 AM

In europe we got plenty of these and it is from these trucks i get my engines from. The LT is known for that they are very slow without turbo But it had been cool to have a lt45 with double cabin and four wheel drive