D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2020, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 1981 GL 245

Hey RedArrow,
Thank you very much for this answer, it really is heart-warming.

Yes, I was this very forumer ! I did the job with two friends, one of them was a good mechanic although not a D24 expert. We did it with the home-made tool you can see on the pic from my other topic. We did not have all the special tools. I now understand the use of these tools : you don’t spend your time to double-check every minute if you’re still at TDC. We took 8 hours to get the job done properly : I think that with all the tools, it could have been divided by 3!!

I define myself as a beginner with this engine and in mechanics in general, so thank you for the precautions.

I cannot be sure about the fluid as I do not know if transmission oil looks like motor oil.

Now, there is a lot of dripping oil under the pan.
It is very very greasy around the oil sensor . I could take pic today, I ll try tomorrow.

I remember having removed the relief valve of the oil pump (clapet de décharge in French, Im not sure about the English) , I did not change the gasket . It s very greasy underneath.

About the valver cover : yes, there is a small leak, I completely forgot to change that gasket and we used the old one and I promised to change it as soon as I could. It is greasy on the most detoriated part but I don’t see how it could explain such a loss of oil.

I drove the car back (one km) and I noticed nothing peculiar. Got it started a few time without noticing any leak.
When I pull out the dipstick , I can sea a little drop on the top of it, but that’s it. It is so strange!!

About the seals: are you talking about the crank seal? we did not change it…

The car is a manual 4+OD, NA.
Thanks a lot again. I ll try to do some cleaning and spot the leak properly!
Old 06-28-2020, 09:47 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahicori View Post
I cannot be sure about the fluid as I do not know if transmission oil looks like motor oil.
Being a diesel, the motor oil turns black very soon after the oil change. Manual transmission (M46, 4+OD) should be ATF type F, red in color, or SAE 30w, golden in color (darker brown if very old). Neither transmission fluid will be as black as the motor oil.

Quote:
It is very very greasy around the oil sensor .
That is actually a good clue. Tells us it might be from:
1. (most common) Leaking vacuum pump o-ring gasket
2. Leaking valve cover gasket
3. Leaking head gasket (common head gasket leak location around #3 cylinder-- just under the vacuum pump).

Quote:
I remember having removed the relief valve of the oil pump (clapet de décharge in French, Im not sure about the English) , I did not change the gasket . It s very greasy underneath.
Yes, another possible leak location

Quote:
When I pull out the dipstick , I can sea a little drop on the top of it, but that’s it. It is so strange!!
If the car is on level ground, and you checked the dipstick after the engine has been off for over 10 minutes, then you are down about 2 litres, getting in the danger zone.

Quote:
I ll try to do some cleaning and spot the leak properly!
Great idea; that is your best approach at this point. Clean well the engine so you will more easily be able to see where the leak(s) is coming from. Remember that usually the leaking oil flows from top to bottom, and the wind will blow it from front to rear.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:23 AM

I started the cleaning.

There was a nice little pond of oil on the intake manifold. Must be that head gasket that was in shred and has not been replaced. I will finish the cleaning, change the gasket, and see what happens.

I am still concerned about the dipstick because i remember that while checking the level after the oil change, It remained spotless.

My odometer takes vacations now and then, my fuel gauge doesnt work, I was hoping I could still now the amount of oil that runs the motor. But no!

I hope i did not put back too much oil after this loss of oil because of that stupid stick!
Old 06-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I am still concerned about the dipstick because i remember that while checking the level after the oil change, It remained spotless.
Maybe we are misunderstanding you. Are you saying that there is no oil on the dipstick?
Old 06-29-2020, 12:08 PM

Yes , that's it! But I dont see how a dipstick could fail at doing its job?! It would definitly means that I lost 4 liters of oil lately, without noticing anything?

Last edited by dahicori; 06-29-2020 at 12:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-29-2020, 12:17 PM
Supporting Member

There has to be a big leak or leaks somewhere there...
Old 06-30-2020, 06:40 AM

Last edited by dahicori; 06-30-2020 at 06:43 AM.