D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2023, 09:29 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvolvoboy View Post
Also what's the cheapest place to get the shims from?
Any of the main euro parts sellers will carry them. FCP, AutohausAZ, etc. You can look them up for an early '80s Jetta, etc. They are the same shims that were used in any solid-lifter 4cyl or 5cyl gas or diesel VW or Audi (or even some Dodge/Plymouth/AMC and Porsche cars that used VW/Audi engines).

Be aware that they are NOT the same shims used in a gas Volvo engine though. The "redblock" gasser Volvos used a very similar valvetrain concept of bucket type lifters with shim discs, so visually the shims could look the same, but the shim dimensions from the Volvo gas engine are wrong for the D24. So if you look it up under a Volvo application be careful and ensure that any part you buy does not cross-list the gasser application.

If you can figure out what exact shim sizes you need you could also probably get some forum members to send you some shims. I have probably two hundred of them in my kit, in pretty much every size. Several other members have similar selections.

The tough part though is that in your situation, starting with at least a few valves that have zero clearance, it often becomes impossible to know what shim size you'll need without doing a little bit of trial and error first. You need to be able to get a feeler gauge in and read the current clearance to be able to do the math of figuring out what size you need to change to. If you can't get a gauge in you'll have to just try a few thinner shims based on best guesses until you find one that lets you get enough lash to make a good measurement.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 1982 Volvo 240 GL

Figured out the D24 ones are 31mm wide and the redblocks use 33mm. From what I measured I'm probably going to start with 3.75-3.85 area for cylinder 1. Looks like it will be a lot of trail and error and best place I can find is FCP. Would you be willing to sell me some of your shims just to get me started in being able to fit a feeler gauge in?
Old 04-03-2023, 04:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Also what's the cheapest place to get the shims from?
Cheapest place? Junkyard. By far. There's at least 8 in each VW engine there.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:20 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Cheapest place? Junkyard. By far. There's at least 8 in each VW engine there.
If you can find a pre 1986 solid lifter VW anywhere anymore! Though enough of those old cars were produced that they are probably still showing up in yards even this 40 years later. And yeah, if you can find one, 10 nuts to yank the cam and then you get to take all 8 shims easy.

Quote:
Would you be willing to sell me some of your shims just to get me started in being able to fit a feeler gauge in?
I can do that if needed. Best thing to do first probably would be to remove the shims from the tightest cylinders and figure out what thickness they are. You'll have to just remove, measure, and reinstall of course, since you will need to have the shims back in there to keep rotating the cam. But that way at least you'll have some reference point for how much thinner you need to start with, and I can send you a few options based on that.

Do you have the tappet depressor hook tool and shim plier set already to be able to remove and replace the discs?
Old 04-04-2023, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: 1982 Volvo 240 GL

I'll keep that in mind if any pop up in a junkyard. I have hook tool and pliers so I was able to remove the first two discs which had the lowest clearance and measured them.

The exhaust had about 0.13mm of clearance and the disc was 3.55mm so for that one the next smallest would be 3.35-3.30. For the intake the clearance is essentially 0 and the disc was 3.60mm so the next one for that would also be about 3.40-3.35.

I'm not sure what a good amount to start with would be but I figured something like each disc size ranging from 3.20-3.40. Maybe even two? I also haven't checked the other cylinders with good compression but I assume replacing two shims can't set the clearance off too much for those. I'm not familiar with how much trail and error it will take and don't want to buy too much of your funky metal circle stash. I'll cover shipping as well just PM me.