D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-14-2023, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Volvo 245
Default D24 Cam Seal Replacement?

Hey all, been a while since I've posted here - apologies if this question has been done to death, feel free to point me to any relevant threads.

Removing the rear camshaft sprocket on my NA D24 has resulted in a cam-out operation because of a stuck (and somewhat rounded over) bolt, so I guess it needs new seals on both ends. The ones I pulled out look alright, and the engine apparently only has 2300 miles on it since rebuild, but that was over a decade ago, and I don't really trust anything rubber on the car.

I've sourced a set of Elring seals with the same specs as the parts I removed, and I'm still waiting on delivery - I figure now's a good time to ask/verify the depth at which to install them when I get around to it, later this week.

So, do they go in flush, or am I going to be pressing/tapping them all the way in?

My vague research on other VW IDI motors has led me to believe the former, but I thought I'd check with the D24 experts first.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!
Old 01-19-2023, 11:09 AM

Vehicle: 89' 765 D24TIC M46, 87' 744 D24TIC M46

I always put in the seal a little bit further than where the cam was riding before, but you want to be more or less flush or 1-2mm in. Just make shure the seal isn't crooked and it will be fine.

And yes, i can only agree on changing any seal when it is accessible. I have made this mistake twice now, shurely learned my lesson with old rubber seals.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Volvo 245

Yep. Ended up figuring it out, and got them in. Made a cute little tool out of a cardboard tube and a used cam seal to press them to where they need to go.

Thanks!