D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 06-11-2021, 04:11 PM

Vehicle: 1982 245-GL D6, 1982 244-GL D6
Default Diesel Smell from Engine

So my '82 240 sedan is slowly driving me crazy.
There's a a strong diesel smell (as if it is leaking somewhere) coming from the engine, but I can't locate any leaking fuel.

I've tried UV dye in the tank, fuel filter, and direct into the injection pump and can find no visible leaks.

I've used engine degreaser and brake cleaner to remove any grime from the engine but everything still looks dry.

No dip in fuel economy from what I can tell, but it's been like this for about a year now.

The car takes about 6 seconds to start, which I am attributing to air getting into the fuel line, but haven't yet confirmed theory.

I can smell the diesel while driving, idling, etc...
It's a pretty strong smell considering that my '82 d24 wagon has no diesel smell from the engine bay.

Anyone know how I should further proceed with diagnostics/searching to locate the source of the diesel smell?
Old 06-11-2021, 09:16 PM
Supporting Member

Can be frustrating. Very small leaks can still produce enough odor for the human nose to perceive.

Some IP leaks can be difficult to uncover. Can you wipe a clean paper towel along the extreme underside protruding ridges at the bottom of the IP? If that picks up fuel moisture there is a small IP leak somewhere. Commonly at the mainshaft seal or at the distribution head large diameter o-ring seal. The throttle shaft seal is another common leak area but you would be able to see this easier.

One time when I had persistent fuel odor yet no evidence of leaks it was the deteriorating injector fuel spill lines that were damp with fuel on their outer wrapping. No dripping leaks yet squeezing them released fuel like a sponge.

Have you looked at the fuel tank, cap, fuel rails?

Any way apparently you are way more advanced than I, who have never used UV equipment to discover leaks.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:10 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
One time when I had persistent fuel odor yet no evidence of leaks it was the deteriorating injector fuel spill lines that were damp with fuel on their outer wrapping. No dripping leaks yet squeezing them released fuel like a sponge.
^^^ This would be my guess. Those little hoses can seep when they deteriorate, kind of like sweating fuel, not enough to drip anywhere visibly, but enough for the cloth braiding to hold some fuel and give off a smell especially on a warm engine.

If they are leaking a little, then they can also have the effect of allowing air to be pulled back into the top of the IP and let fuel siphon back to the tank when the engine is off, leading to a loss of prime in the pump that can result in extended cranking to start. If this is happening, then it can be especially pronounced when the fuel level in the tank is low and/or the car is parked facing uphill. So it might explain both of your problems.

When was the last time those injector overflow hoses were replaced?

Don't forget about the little cap on the #1 injector -- it can leak in this same way too.

Tags
d24t, diesel, fuel, leak, smell