D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 11-19-2021, 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 1982 245-GL D6, 1982 244-GL D6
Default Is Penzoil Euro Synthetic A-OK?

Currently using Rotella T6 5W-40.

Want to give a 0W-40 oil a try this Winter.

Nowhere seems to have Rotella T6 0W-40 in-stock.

Is Penzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 0W-40 OK to use with the D24 NA engine?

It says it's compatible with "light duty diesel applications," whatever that means...

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produ...bGFuZz1lbi1VUw

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-...ctedSellerId=0
Old 11-19-2021, 06:01 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Personally no experience with it here, but I would guess it would be excellent, far beyond OK. AFAIK more or less any modern well-made synthetic is very strong protection, especially for a NA D24 without the heat stress of a turbo.

If you want to be really sure you could look and make sure it shows compatibility with the VW 505.00 or 507.00 specs or the [I suspect similar/identical] Mercedes 229.xx specs, but if it says Euro formula and mentions suitability for light diesels then I am sure it meets those.

Seems like we are fortunate in the modern world of synthetic oils to have many (basically all) good choices and few if any "bad" ones. Even conventional oils are way better than they once were from what I have heard. Simplest now is probably to just buy whatever is easily available and reasonably priced in the grade you want.

I run 0W40 year round and have been very happy with it. The 0W only really matters (vs an equivalent 5W) in really extreme cold but of course in that situation you want any help you can get. One time two winters ago I started my 764 at 6000' elevation after it sat out overnight unplugged by mistake in something like -35F, can't remember exactly and don't really want to. It took effort but it fired up eventually and the oil pressure light went right out with that 0W40 in the sump! I have been buying Castrol Euro Formula 0W40 from Walmart, competitive price there, but used to run T6 0W40 when my FLAPS had it, I'm sure the Pennzoil is in the same league as both.

Tags
d24t, diesel, oils, penzoil, rotella