D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-18-2022, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 940 d24tic
Default Injector nozzles UK

Ordered a set of nozzles from eBay that came from Germany, went for the cheapest as of the ones advertised they don’t state a manufacturer.
Anyway pulled one of my injectors today, it had a poor spray pattern so I swapped the nozzle, all was good but it was not holding pressure and leaking around 1800psi, the second one I tried would open but not close again and the 3rd one I took out was completely wrong and had a point on the rear of the nozzle instead of the small rod.
I stuck the old nozzle in my ultrasonic cleaner and then rebuilt the injector which solved the spray pattern.
Now I’ve been refunded from the seller but I can’t find nozzles unless it’s unnamed or bosch at £60 a nozzle, anyone know of a supplier where I can get quality nozzles, or I may just strip and clean mine and hope none are dead
Old 01-18-2022, 10:50 AM
Supporting Member

If you've already got the ultrasonic cleaner, and already gotten good results from rebuilding one that had bad spray pattern, why not do the rest?

Clean room practices apply. Do not even handle the nozzle pintles or other surfaces with bare fingers. Always wet with diesel.

Here's one test that can predict final results:
Holding the nozzle body at 45deg. from vertical, partially insert the needle. It should slowly sink to the bottom, of its own weight. Again, wet with diesel.

Do you have a good assortment of shims?

Have you looked at Vince Waldon's VW injector rebuilding tutorial?

Which vendor did you use? So future reader can steer clear.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:29 AM

Vehicle: 940 d24tic

I think that’s the way I may go, just didn’t like the idea of stripping them to find one damaged and no spares.
I have the tutorial and ordered the shin kit from Mercedes spares so all good there.
I had a brain fart the lintel was installed the wrong way on one, still I can’t get it out, been soaking it in diesel, and won’t plot out with compressed air
Old 05-07-2022, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Prices of injector rebuild or complete injectors

This topic is always interesting. Sooner or later, all of us will end up needing injectors checked and/or rebuilt....

I would like to ask a few questions here:

If I send my injectors in for a rebuild, what is the fair price (or the fair price range) to pay and get one of my injectors (or a set of 6) rebuilt by someone who knows what he is doing (and obviously equipped with proper testing tools...)? Please tell what is the average price that is acceptable/common to pay TO GET THEM REBUILT.

What is the fair price to buy a complete injector (new/properly rebuilt and with proper nozzles) for these d24/d24t cars (or a set of 6) WITHOUT SENDING MY own injectors in AND/OR without sending my own injectors in as a CORE/exchange item?
Basically what is the price of one `new/rebuilt` COMPLETE INJECTOR or a set of six!

I have a multiple sets of these injectors and I would like to get about two or three sets rebuilt. Some of them are sets from nonturbo d24 engines and others are from my turbodiesel d24t engines.
I am sure the d24-d24t engines use the same injector-body but do they also use the same or similar nozzles? Basically, are these d24 and d24t injectors interchangable? Can they run with each others` injectors?

Can the d24 run well with d24t injectors?
Can the d24t run well with d24 injectors? ( I doubt it but I hope so.)

I have rebuilt d24 nonturbo injectors from a great runner d24 n/a car, can they be used in the d24T engine safely and efficiently?
(Will the d24t run well with d24 injectors?)

4. d24 and d24t injectors are both calibrated to 155 bars?
(Is it possible that my d24 nonturbo injectors were set to 155 bars?)
If there`s a difference between the d24 d24t injectors then what exactly it is? can it be `internally swapped` or somehow reset?

5. can we use injectors from the good old vw diesel family such as the old 1.6 or the turbo1.6 rabbit jetta etc injectors then replace their nozzles to what our d24 and d24t engines need? How much are those injectors if available new? Are they available new?

Is it worth rebuilding what I have or simply I should just get injectors and replace the nozzles then calibrate them? Some of my used injectors have seepage at the two side nipples that wont be good news at/for the rebuilder. How do they fix that, is it fixable (nipple sunk in downward and is somewhat loose)?

Please let me know what is okay and what is not okay to pay for the rebuilder and what are the prices of `new rebuilt complete units` --if even available.

Thanks for the answers!

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-07-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:59 AM
Supporting Member

Do you have the greenbook for D24? I have for the D24T so if you do we can compare nozzle types and POP between the two. I believe the injector bodies are the same, also shared with the VW engines (and Mercedes, and possibly GM) of similar era.

I (and others) have had excellent results from Monark brand nozzles, the model which is a slight upgrade from stock nozzle specs, similar to the VW GTD type nozzle. The particulars are still here in D24T forums.

Since I have not been in the market for injectors or nozzles for years I have no advice as far as pricing or availability.

The differences between D24 and D24T injectors are mainly the higher POP setting for the T (simply more or thicker shims) version and possibly the nozzle spec. Bodies are the same.

Leaky spill nipples are usually caused by using a socket lacking sufficient clearance for them (they get dislodged and pinched inwards), or other sloppy handling. Being a press fit, they can usually be carefully reseated with a small hammer and soft punch to seal better.

Do you have access to a POP tester? Small ultrasonic cleaner? Ultra-clean work area?

VinceWaldon.com was my goto when I rebuilt mine.

HOW-TO: Rebuild Diesel IDI Injectors - VinceWaldon.com