View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 01:18 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWebie23 View Post
So I highly doubt this thing needs all the gps working at that ambient temp... am I wrong???
Higher ambient temps can help ease starting issues but more important is compression, functioning GP system, timing, cranking RPMs.
Most of these engines need at least 5 working GPs, quite a few need all 6. Some few tip-top condition might get by with 4. Easy for us to rationalize that GPs are not really all that important, but real world experience tells us different.

To me, your situation looks like this:

Getting white smoke out the tailpipe-- a good sign you are getting fuel.

At least one bad GP. Have you tested all? Using jumper cables connected to battery, the GP tip should be glowing bright red at 10 seconds or less. Easy for you to remove GPs and test with engine out of car.

Engine sat for 20 years. As v8volvo stated earlier, sticky/dry rings very possible. While you have the GPs out for testing, squirt 1/4 teaspoon motor oil (no more than this) in each hole. Might be easier if you rotate the engine sideways on the stand. Replace GPs with known good ones. Hand crank a few revolutions to avoid any possible hydrolock damage.

Bet it starts after that. Worked for me on a similar situation. Engine sat for several years. Good cranking speeds. White smoke out the tailpipe. (GPs were good.) Would not start, not even close. Tried for days. Dropped 1/4 tsp. motor oil in each injector hole (required new heat shields whenever R/R injectors). Engine fired up with a roar immediately on first cranking! Great runner after that.