View Single Post
Old 05-26-2023, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: 1983 Volvo 245 GL d6

I have the original 240 d24 radiator in there now, the other one I have is for later model 240 / 740 turbo? Last week I flushed the old one several times, lots of shit came out and afterwards the car ran less ''hot'', needle stays in the middle / bit above the middle now.

The engine I picked up came with different (longer) radiator hoses, which match up with the other NOS radiator I have. Engine is d24 but from 1991. I suspect they changed radiator & hoses somewhere inbetween.

So did some more diagnosing last week, replaced the suspected injector with one from the other engine, ticking noise went away, car still started fine and drove okay except for a bit of blue smoke when cold. Still drank A LOT of oil (i filled up more than a liter in 400 kilometers). Made a catch can inbetween the ventilation of the engine to the inlet, half of all oil that it consumes now goes into the can.

But a new problem: engine started fine until yesterday, now it won't start at all anymore (not even on brake cleaner). When trying to start, smoke comes from exhaust, oil filler cap and OUT OF THE INTAKE? Fuel gets to the injectors, so that shouldn't be a problem. Checked glow plugs and they are also functioning. When using brake cleaner to start it, it should always start if it even only has a tiny bit of compression?

I suspect the engine has 0 compression, rings are done?, maybe some valves are screwed? No idea how long they drove it around without adjusting, they were all too tight (some I couldn't even get my 0.04 feeler gauges between). Looking at it's history, sitting for 20 years with water rather than coolant, no valve adjustments, crazy oil consumption I don't have much hopes for this engine other than rebuilding it in the future.

Next week i'm gonna swap in the other d24, just ordered new belts, waterpump & motor mounts to replace those while i'm there anyway. History of this one sounds a bit more promosing, hope it runs better so I can start taking apart the old one and see what it needs. Curious to find out what is broken, as it just stopped running all of sudden.