View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Vehicle: Volvo 965

In the end, I've managed to get someone to solder it and it has been fine since.

Mostly everything else isn't, though...it seems that blocked thermostat some time ago and related overheating did weaken the HG, hence it cranks a bit longer now, especially half-warmed and tends to overheat when under boost for extended periods...also doen't like to go past certain speed/rpm: few weeks ago it went 120-ish mph for a while and the temp-gauge just went to red in an instant (while deccelerating with gear disengaged), stopped, it threw boiling coolant; I let it cool a bit with fresh coolant circulating (have few liters spare always in the trunk, just in case), and seems fine now, though I see an immineng HG change in near future, but just can't bring myself to do it some time soon, I guess I'm waiting for it to fail completely...

By the way, strange thing - few seconds before the temp-needle shoots to red, the red "TURBO" warning light comes on. Why? Since it is overboosted quite a bit, I have disconnected the line that used to go from plenum to that sensor on the left fenderwell, next to the glow-plug relay; hence warning light should never come on...or so I thought.

Anyone have the idea why?