View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: Volvo 240

Thank you for your reply, I can definitely post some pictures in the near future!

The 5th gear stays on by itself and only goes off if I move the shifter left or right even by a little bit. I am thinking that it's supposed to only turn off when you take it out of gear.

I inspected the wiring on the shifter and gearbox this week and it was cracking pretty bad so I am going to replace it but it doesn't turn on when I move the shifter, only off which is weird if it was the wiring?

I am leaning towards the sensor thingy in the gearbox that checks when you take it out of gear.

The high pitch sound comes ONLY when the engine has reached full operating temperature or is close to it. If I can't get the sound fixed, I will record it and post it here.

The alternator belt is tight, the power steering pump belt should be tighter but the whine is not really one that a slipping belt would make.

I am suspecting that it could be an intake manifold leak. The weird part about it is that the whine goes away when you let off the throttle and only comes back after some minutes.

I think an exhaust manifold leak won't whine on a naturally aspirated engine so it shouldn't be that? I will get a new gasket when I order a bunch of parts at once.

I will try tightening the power steering belt.

I'm sorry for being unclear with speed gauge. I mean the vehicle speedometer. I lubed the wire and almost all of the jumping of the gauge went away. I should probably get a new cable for it.