View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

No need to replace the seals unless they are leaking. Some people prefer to replace them anyway, but I consider it likely that one might do as much harm as good... In this case, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Don't forget that the valve shims are the same ones used for all solid-lifter VW water-cooled engines from 1975 up until they all switched to hydraulic around 1986. That includes all the Rabbit and first gen Jetta engines (gas and diesel), some early Mk2 Golfs and Jettas, various Audi 4- and 5-cylinder gassers and diesels, and of course the D24 and D24T. There are a zillion of those shims out there, they should not be hard to find. When you ask about them, make sure you specify that you are looking for VW stuff -- may make it much easier to find a set.

If you need to buy, I know Jack at vwdieselparts.com sells them, and the Parts Place (which I believe is also in the midwest) probably does as well. Or perhaps Jason's outfit in MO can sell you what you need. Either way they should not be hard to find -- any foreign car garage that has been around for more than just a few years ought to have a set, since it was routine maintenance for hundreds of thousands of cars that used those same shims.

Make sure you use the good neoprene rubber valve cover gasket when you put it back together. Doesn't leak, unlike the cork ones which always seem to even right from the beginning, and you can reuse it an infinite number of times and it will still seal.