View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Thumbs up And we're off!

If you're also a reader of the D24 Mailing List you might recall the tale of a D24T owner who's oil cooler went bad and introduced oil into the coolant, and coolant into the oil. This prompted a multi-day conversation on the proper non-sudsing soap to use. I am that owner, and now I'm able to start to remedy the situation.

Today I drained the oil and coolant. The coolant was about 75% green coolant and 25% oil. I couldn't find a petcock valve on the radiator so I removed the lower radiator hose. Per the advice of E C Yarter on the D24 ML I purchased an "oil filter adapter" from eBay to replace the oil cooler. This adapter has 3 threaded 1/8 NPT bungs to screw in plugs, temperature senders, pressure senders, etc. I have a VDO oil temperature sender in one and the other two holes are taped and plugs inserted. The adapter comes with a 3/4-16 male-to-female threaded fitting. I also purchased an OEM D24 double-male oil filter nipple (PN 1257040). Assembly goes as follows:

Oil mount -> double male nipple -> oil filter adapter -> 3/4-16 threaded fitting -> oil filter.

I think it'll work out pretty well and I can monitor the temps now that the cooler is gone. Tomorrow I'll install the adapter and associated items, and a new filter. Once we're buttoned up I'll fill with new oil in the engine and 1 cap full of washing powder and water into the overflow reservoir. According to some folks on the ML this could take 8-10 times of filling, rinsing, draining; ugh.

I do have a question: is the lower radiator hose available in the US? I see on RockAuto they list "ÜRO PARTS Part # 1257992" for $12.76 ... but those European-sourced parts can be awful pricey to ship.

I'm also going to head to the home store and source some brass plumbing plugs. These are for the coolant hoses I won't be needing with the removal of the oil cooler. Yippie!

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

Last edited by jbg; 08-03-2013 at 06:25 AM.