View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Jason,

I have a complete spare D24T M46 in my garage with release lever and throwout bearing still attached. Probably won't have time to move all the piles of stuff off it till the weekend but I'll try to snap some photos of it and put them up. I don't recall what the arrangement is off the top of my head.

I believe the only things supporting the release lever are the ball stud over on the pass side, the throwout bearing, and the clutch cable. I think is essentially free to move in the hole in the bellhousing when the throwout bearing is not present. However there should also be a return spring somewhere, and its location and setup depends on what year tranny you have. '83 and '84 have an external return spring that hooks onto the arm where the clutch cable attaches and then runs back to the trans crossmember. '85 cars have the return spring inside the bellhousing. I have the engine out of my '85 stick wagon right now too so could snap a pic of its exposed bellhousing for comparison purposes, that way you can figure out what you have and what you need. The spare tranny I have is from an '83 so you can see both types.

By the way, you know you may need a different trans crossmember as well, right? Volvo used at least 2 types of tranny crossmember in 700 cars, possibly 3, I don't recall. I remember having to figure all that stuff out when I did my V8 swap several years back.