View Single Post
Old 04-15-2023, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

I managed to get some time in to work on the car between rain and thunderstorms. The hood again was a challenge to unlock, though the PB B'laster did work well on the hood hinges. Small victories!

Prior to getting to the car I went to Harbor Freight and bought one of those digital 1/2" torque adapters. I have not used it, but I did open it and got this pic to see how it would work with the radiator in place.

It does fit but it doesn't leave a lot of room to swing the breaker bar. I could remove the air filter housing but I think removing the radiator is the way to go. Or perhaps remove both the air filter housing and the radiator.

I removed the glow plug relay. I plan to test this at home. Several of the control/signal wires in the 4-pin harness are in really bad shape. The wire insulation deteriorated before my eyes with movement of the harness.

I'll have to dig out the replacement harness and add that to the list of to-do's. Next was to remove the master cylinder. The 4 brake lines and fittings were in very good shape. I have a set of line wrenches and everything came apart easy. I have the master cylinder and brake fluid reservoir in a zip top bag.

The bad news is the 4 crank damper 6mm internal torx bolts seem to be in pretty rough shape. One seems to be physically damaged. Another stripped, and yet another looks like a bit was pounded into it on the flats. Finally the fourth one looks okay?

Taking a picture was awkward but I think this helps. Here's another with a healthy dosing of PB B'laster:

Looking at the above, the bolt at ~11:00 looks like it is stripped out. The bolt at 2:00 looks okay to me. The bolt at 5:00 looks like it is stripped or "modified" on it's flats. Lastly, the bolt at 8:00 looks both stripped and perhaps physically damaged. I think I have my work cut out for me. I soaked it all down in PB B'laster.

I think it's the right move to remove the radiator, based on the HF torque adapter fitment and the condition of the 6mm internal torx bolts. At this point in the day yet another storm was coming and I was running out of time to get to an appointment. I figured I would check to see if the transmission lines into the radiator were removable. The top was very easy, perhaps even a little loose, the bottom was not. The threaded union was not turning, instead the fitting in the radiator was. The line was also moving with the union fitting. With some PB B'laster, an adjustable wrench, and a 15mm line wrench, I was able to get it loose. I think I should be able to pull the radiator next week and get more room for the crank damper bolts.

I have some experience with removing stuck bolts. But each one presents its own challenge. Plus the location of them is an additional challenge. I'm thinking a map gas torch, spray bottle of water, Mayhew screw extractors (and drill), vice grips, and a rich tapestry of swearing, will hopefully get them out. That will likely be next week.

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel