View Single Post
Old 11-27-2022, 09:53 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

^^ Good points above on the bushings and Tom B's improved stock-style US spec brackets.

Regarding the use of the non-US late-style bracket: I like the idea of them, too (nice to keep that alternator away from the grime and heat low down on the engine especially near the turbo on a D24T, and the late style PS pump with remote reservoir would be nice also).

However -- I hate to rain on the parade here -- but I don't think that bracket was ever used on a 200 series diesel unless someone can correct me. I believe they existed on the late 7 and 9 series diesels (both D24, D24T, D24TIC) but since the 200 series uses reversed radiator connections and the upper rad hose needs to wrap around the front of the engine right where the alt would go, I believe the old style bracket systems were used thru end of production and they never moved to the revised system.

Someone overseas or with access to a VADIS catalog could confirm or contradict me on that. But I believe it would be a challenge to make one work on a 240, at least without also having to make various other changes to the cooling system not to mention underhood wiring, PS plumbing, etc. And different PS pump and alternator to match the updated bracket. A big job in other words. Maybe still worth it, but more involved than just sourcing the newer bracket PN.