View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 AM

V8Volvo:

I tried to PM you but your box is full. I was hoping you could give me some more explanation as to what problems the hunting on startup is likely to cause if you don't mind? Not that I don't believe it's a bad thing, I just like to understand why it is.

Message I tried to send:
Quote:
Hi mate, hope you don't mind me contacting you. As you might remember I run Veg oil on my motor and was experiencing some hunting on startup, which you warned was bad and to re-think the % of veg usage.

Quote:
If it does, then you don't have a problem with your motor; your issue is with your fuel mix, and the poor starting is a major warning sign that you need to re-think your fuel blend before things get much worse very quickly.
I have currently increased the petrol % to 15% and use a cetane enhancer which has helped a lot, and I will be adding a fuel heater very soon (although this will not affect cold starting I understand). If I manually hold the cold start open it starts with barely any hunting but I am still really struggling with the CSV unit.

The reason I am contacting you is for further explanation of what you said before "before things get much worse very quickly". I understand hunting on startup isn't good for a diesel, but I've not found anything that says what problems it causes. The only thing I can think of is unburnt veg making it's way through the pre-chamber and into the combustion chamber, and then collecting in the rings and drying hard... leading to sticking rings. Is this what you were referring to?