View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 05:07 AM

Yes, it starts fine on pure diesel (on a cold morning needs 2 heats of the glowplugs and does chug a little). Bear in mind I have no cold start device at the moment. With the cold start lever manually activated it starts fine with veg oil in a 50/50 mix with diesel. However, I can't find a good cold start device and the waxstat replacement is £60+VAT from Volvo.

Also, bear in mind that I'm using SVO currently - i.e. Straight Veg Oil from the supermarket. No fats etc to drop out as temp falls. I have so far changed fuel filters twice (in 8,000 miles I've had the car) but this was precaution - neither needed changing, but at £5 a time I thought it was worthwhile as Veg oil can clean any diesel deposits from the fuel system/tank.

I will be using WVO soon - waste veg oil. However, I am processing it very carefully. Pour just good liquid oil through a bedsheet into a Burco Tea Earn. Heat it to 90-100C first for an hour or 2. Some water evaporates, some falls to the bottom (below the tap). Leave it to cool till the following day. Any fats and water fall to the bottom below the tap. Drain good oil off through filter socks (50mic, 25mic, 1mic) at the coldest possible time. This ensures all possible fats are caught in the filter socks. So, if I filtered tonight when it's 5C, unless it dropped to -5C (which it won't this week). I then will be pre-mixing it with 10% petrol (in bottles, before it goes in the tank) and adding a couple of caps of veggi-boost, which is a cetane enhancer. So I'm not just dumping old oil through a tea towell into the car and expecting it to start! 10% petrol should roughly halve the viscosity of the veg oil.

Re: Glowplug relay - my glowplug light lights up (only if engine cool) and stays on for probably 5 secs... then I start the car. The light never stays on after I've started the car. Has anyone got a wiring diagram for the glowplug relay?