View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

The 740 TD automatic rear axle is a 3.91:1 ratio, pretty short gears. I would not really say it is worth the massive work to take it and transport it. There is no functional difference versus the gasser rear ends, they can sub right in, and most of those are 3.73:1 which IMO is actually a little better, if anything, than the stock diesel gearing in today's world of 85mph speed limits and 90+mph traffic speeds. Back when these cars were new and 55mph speed limits were commonplace the shorter gearing might have made more sense but for road use now, sacrificing some punch off the line for lower revs on the highway probably makes sense.

Sounds like a fun project, how did it go getting it all apart?

Gasser struts are all the same as diesels except the springs, I wouldn't go to any major effort there but it seems simplest/fastest in a situation like what you are working with to just take the entire upright, with strut and spring and knuckle etc.

The front crossmember would definitely be worth taking if it is an '86 car but if it is 85 or earlier, not really worth too much effort, especially if you can already see some cracks starting in it or any kind of rust. The 1986 one year only xmember is improved so that is the one you want -- or the same part is used on 89-91 gasser 7 or 9 with a B234F 16 valve 4cyl engine. If going after the crossmember is going to add a lot of work and it's the early type I personally would save the effort and just keep your eye out for one of those updated ones. The early type all crack sooner or later.

ZF shift linkage rods are all different and the shift lever is too, doesn't have the OD button of the AW7x gasser trans. But you might not care too much about this unless you are planning a TD/ZF swap into a gas car...

Good luck!!