View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 06:14 AM

Vehicle: 740 2.4 TD GLE 1986

There is a solution to cracked cylinderhead. I have a spare, from my old engine where the cam-belt suddenly lost all its teeth The cam snapped in three pieces, but i assumed the head could be used again. It got twelve other used valves, and the lifters that were damaged got swapped with some good used ones. The valves are ofcourse re-lapped, and the valve-stem seals replaced.

Notice one the height of one of the last valves. Stuck in an unusual position = Bent valve!

...A little bit stuck

A damaged lifter, notice the small cracks.

All the parts for the budget head-repair. Set of used valves, and a used cam.

Ready for fitting of the cam, and valve adjustment.

The engine with the cracked head, had a two-notch fiber gasket. And when it comes to which one to choose for this project, I am in doubt. The "new" head is straight, and just cleaned by hand with one of these green "scotch brite pads". But do you think a MLS would be ok, when the block and head not have been machined? A thought would be that the fiber one is better for "imperfect" surfaces.
This engine have always used a lot of oil. Started to run 5w/40 part synth on it, but then I had to refill quite often. Lately I had to refill more often, and tryed 10w/40 part synth, and it consumed 1 liter pr. 800-1000km. (0,26 US Gal to about 600 miles).
Lately it also was a bit smokey out of the exhaust. A fine nice blue fog when engine was cold

There were also a lot of soot in the downpipe, due to the massive oil consumption. Anyway, I think thats why