View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: Volvo 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
*High Quality* BD should run extremely similar to PetroD. Some notice it quiets the engine a tiny amount. Performance differences should be well within 10%. BD exhaust smells A LOT better.

BD *may* have a slightly higher gel point than winter grade PD but I think those low wintertime temperatures have passed in your area by this time of year.

Not likely the cause of your problems, unless the BD was low quality or waterlogged.

Warning: 100% BD can prematurely degrade non-BD compatible fuel system rubber (fuel hoses, older IP seals), causing them to soften and weep.

OTOH, BD inherently has higher lubrication qualities than current ULSD, potentially increasing IP and injector lifespans (assuming IP seals are BD resistant).

Previously you stated you thought eyeballing the camshaft timing was close enough and wouldn't cause performance problems. ("The cam timing could be a little bit wrong but I don't think that could effect the engine too much.") I don't have direct experience with this so will not overtly dispute that but--- Why would the factory make a special tool and additionally specify loading the adjustment 0.2mm to one side if eyeballing was close enough? Why should they complicate the process?

Also: "Adjusted the valves to pretty much exactly to what the book says..."
What is "pretty much exactly to what the book says?" Either followed the method and specs or not? If not, what did you do different?
Did you measure clearance with the head fully torqued to the block or before?
Hot or cold?

Not meaning to run you around but there must be something amiss. We agree that it should be running better, not worse, after a new head, light rework, new headgasket, timing, etc., no?

Let's verify and clarify where you are at now. Apparently the performance and driveability are continuing to incrementally improve? Acceptable smoke? Only remaining issue is low RPM stumble? Please clarify if I misread.
The issue has been solved!

The pump timing was off so much still that it caused a lack of power and bad running.

The white smoke, bucking and low power are all completely gone now. It feels great when the car works so good now.

I tried the 0-100kmh acceleration after the tuneup and I got 16s 0-100! My previous best was 18.5 seconds with barely any fuel in the tank and this time I had just fueled it completely full.

I have just checked my valves and all intake are within 0.25-0.15mm, exhaust 0.45-0.35mm cold. All the valves had to be adjusted after the rebuild.

I currently have the pump fine adjustment at 0.90mm and the car works very well. I heard some people are running 1-1.05mm for the adjustment and I wonder if this is safe? Would the cold start device advance it to unsafe levels if risen to such a high level?

I am interested in adjusting it higher because the current results have been very good.

Also thanks to everyone who has bothered to answer this thread