View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: Volvo 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
The IP position is not the way to set the IP timing. The marks cannot be used for anything but extremely rough guessing. In fact, we like to have the IP positioned rotated outward from the head, to make future replacing of the rear glowplugs easier.

Couple questions for you:

Did you use Volvo tool 5190 with a 0.2mm feeler gauge or similar or did you eyeball it?

0.92 is fine but did you measure this while the cold start device was deactivated?

Yes me too, it should only be running better. We need to go thru it methodically. It's really not that complicated but the process does require special tools and unorthodox procedures to guarantee success. Many many have tried to "cheat" and use commonly accepted mechanics practices instead and failed.
I don't have any special tools except a dial indicator. I basically eyeballed the cam timing.

I had the cold start device in the hot position while setting the pump timing.

I am very lost with this one considering I don't understand how the pump timing works if what you people are saying is true.

If the marks align and the piston where you measure with the dial indicator displays a correct amount of travel, how can the timing be wrong and how do I set it in that case?

I have been driving for a few days now and the car has been working pretty good. There is still that problem where the car sputters a bit with low throttle.

I swear the car is slower than it used to be when it worked good but it could be because I had a 1.9 tdi while rebuilding the engine and I got used to that.