View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 01:47 AM

Vehicle: Volvo 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Great news.

Yep it seems like you are definitely on the right track. Although you have already made a massive improvement by doing some timing adjustment, like you said, the timing is still probably not exactly right on, resulting in the excess smoke you are still seeing. But the improvement from your initial adjustments confirms the timing was the cause of the issue.

Once you have made the final cam and injection timing adjustments using the proper instruments, that should be further reduced and the engine should run at least as clean as it did before this work. Or possibly even better than that, depending on how accurately the timing had been set before by the previous fellow.

So I need to set this clear.

I have set the cam timing the way that cyl 1 has the cam lobes pointing up and in the rear there are 2 notches and I have aligned those with the head surface.

The cam timing could be a little bit wrong but I don't think that could effect the engine too much.

Also I didn't have the locking pin for the pump so I loosened the rear camshaft gear and held the pump in a position where the pump gear mark aligns with the mark on the pump frame, then tightened the camshaft gear which left the pump mark aligned with the pump frame mark.

When fine tuning the pump, is it normal that when starting to rotate engine counter clockwise the dial indicator number doesn't rise instantly after the 0 mark on flywheel.

I measured the pump timing and adjusted it and got the piston travel to 0.92mm. It was about 0.65. Although this has improved the engine, it still smokes a bit when hot.

Also I still keep having this issue where the car jerks with very little throttle. This can be seen by giving just a little throttle with the clutch pressed because the rpms go up and down constantly with little throttle.

I am currently thinking it could be air in the fuel system or a fault related to the pump shutoff solenoid but doubt this one but it has to be kept possibility.

I have tried it without the fuel filter and it runs the same without it so it's not about that. The pump pulls fuel very well from the tank.

I'm still kind of devastated by how the engine literally ran smoother with 5 cylinders before the rebuild. It has more power now but it runs kinda rough now.