View Single Post
Old 09-11-2022, 12:38 AM

Vehicle: 1995 940 S TD

I just wrote a post and pressed send and needed to log back in again then lost the post

Need to remember to copy the post before sending it .....doh !

Shorter version .........thanks for your replies and your optimism much appreciated. Obviously this engine is very different to other diesels that I have owned. It is not just a case of oil and filter changes and away you go. The car is in excellent condition, inside and out, a 1995 940S TD, so in the right hands would be a keeper for sure, of that there is no doubt. I love the way the car handles, it turns like my Peugeot 309 GLD, very quickly. It is a smooth ride and very reassuring, no knocks or bangs.

On a run down to Pitlochry yesterday ......2hrs each way, I could feel the engine holding back/missing intermittently, when on a constant throttle. When accelerating it seemed to pull ok. It hasn't done this before, even with a very dirty/blocked air filter. The engine still starts well on the cold start and when hot and idles ok, not as lumpy as before the slack was taken up in the cam belt. So as has been said, the valve timing and IP timing needs to be checked and adjusted before I get too despondent.

I need to find a dial gauge and cam lock plate. For changing the cam belt I need to make up the tool for the crank pulley .......is that a 27mm bolt ? Instead of using the tool to lock the crank pulley is it possible to lock the flywheel instead ?

Here is a useful vid, but lacks certain details
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp0UxiNM3SA