View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

There's no room for the stock IC, unfortunately. The diesel rad takes up the space of the IC and then some.

Be sure to hang onto the donor car shell, there are many diesel specific parts you will still need for the swap! I.E. radiator mounts, fuel system bits, electrical pieces, etc.

I just did a swap of a D24T+M46 into a 1986 turbo gas wagon. When I have time sometime this week I will detail a complete list of what was required in terms of parts, wiring, tips, etc. Have pictures too. It is not too tricky but there are some things that it would help to know ahead of time. #1 tip is do not get rid of your donor vehicle until the swapped car is *completely* finished and on the road. Guarantee if you do, you will lose some parts that later on you will discover you needed!

Yes, to get the engine crossmember out, tie rods and lower control arms have to be disconnected. Pretty quick and easy. Sway bar comes out too. You can leave most of it all connected and drop as one unit. The way I did it was to drop the whole cradle out of my diesel donor car, leaving steering rack installed in the x-member and power steering hoses all still attached, then just dropped the gasser setup out the same way and plugged the diesel in. Keeps it simple and not too messy.