View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 09:02 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimarilo View Post
So it took 30 mins to reset the IP and dial in .95. The result was a much quieter engine, no black smoke and is running really sweet, what a joy to drive this car is. Still can't get over how quick it turns round corners and has a brilliant turning circle, when maneuvering or parking

The other thing I want to do is fit a turbo repair kit, which are really cheap, here are some item links I was sent for my T3 Garrett
So pleasing to hear this good outcome, very nicely done

Sounds like a timing adjustment was what the doctor ordered. Very typical with these engines to find it has been driving around for years with improperly timed IP, because, as you have seen, the timing procedure is pretty logical once you have a feel for it.... BUT, many professional mechanics do not take the time to comprehend what is going on and thus it is common for timing to be set incorrectly after a cambelt change. This was a frequent occurrence even from Volvo dealers doing work on them back when the cars were new, and unfortunately sabotaged many otherwise good engines. But it's corrected easily enough and they sure do run differently when everything is dialed in as it should be.

As for the turbo -- certainly a refresh is never a bad thing, but, turbochargers are something we find virtually never need attention on this engine. As a rule they pretty much just don't fail except if some external material damages them. So unless you see evidence yours has some kind of issue, or you just want to do it for fun, it may save you a little time and money to skip any efforts on that particular area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimarilo View Post
I might add that timing the pump by adjusting the rear camshaft pulley only is ok for the initial timing. Common sense says that is possible to shift the pulley whilst tightening the 19mm pulley bolt and therefore the finer adjustment can be made at the pump it's self. I mean why else did they bother to making the pump adjustable ;-))
This is a valid point. The method of rotating rear cam sprocket for timing does require some trial and error to get to the desired setting, as it's hard to make fine adjustments. You can hold the pulley pretty secure with the counterhold tool while tightening that bolt, but yes it's all too easy for it to move just enough for it to throw the timing setting off and require another attempt. Many of us still prefer taking a few tries with the cam sprocket rather than fighting with the four IP bolts and the 12 fuel line connections, but, both ways certainly do work, so it's a matter of preference, to each his own.

They made the pump adjustable too because.... it's German! Why only give us one way to do it, when they could create confusion by offering two paths to the same destination? In all honesty though, as you pointed out, each method has its own upsides/downsides so it is sometimes convenient to be able to choose one or the other.

Sounds like a very nice car that is coming together well, kudos on the updates. We never saw the diesel model Volvos past 1986 here in the US so are always envious to hear about the improved 1990s era diesels on your side of the pond.