View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 04:04 AM

Default helpful, thanks, Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Well the turbo spooling up when you let off doesn't make any sense... As far as injectors, nozzles aren't that expensive and since it sounds like your pretty handy, I would be you could build an injector pop tester if you don't already have one or cant find one for sale.
I have my eye on one; it's been on my list for some time now and I need to bite the bullet and either spend the time or the money to do this correctly.

Quote:
I would just replace them so that takes them out of the equation as a possible problem. For that matter, there could be a loose injector thats not firing well, you should check the torque on all of them in the mean time. I have had them come loose on more than one occasion even after being torqued at the correct value using new injector heat shields.
Will check injector torque and report back. Any suggestions on nozzle sources? also, injector shims? Which nozzles are best for sea level driving in the eastern US?

Quote:
The smoke on take off sounds like valve stem seals, though it could just be worn piston rings and the engine is "loading up" with oil so to speak.
I'll start with the head and go from there. I may well end up rebuilding one of the spare engines I have on hand.

Quote:
As for black smoke, your fuel pump may have been turned up, and the AFC housing may have been adjusted. The afc housing is on top of the fuel pump, there is a alen head screw with a 12 or 13mm jamb nut on it. Loosen the jamb nut, and back the screw all the way out. I would bet you'll find that its buried all the way in and not sticking up through the nut at all.
Yup, that is the present condition of that puppy. Will modify and advise.

Quote:
After that, I would buy a boost gauge to see what the turbo is doing when you getting the black smoke, if boost is staying consistant, how much your running etc... It should be no more than a haze at wide open throttle at full boost if the fueling hasn't been adjusted. Stock boost is around 8 to 10 psi. If your getting that much boost and still have smoke, then you either need to turn the boost up, or back the fueling off by turning the main fuel screw out. Take a look in the performance section, there is a write up on pump adjustments, if your trying to get less smoke and closer to stock, just do the opposite of what the write up suggests!

Hope this is helpful.
Jason
Most helpful! Many thanks!