View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 07:18 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
I just thought of another possibility-- you said the IP was rebuilt? It is very easy to reassemble the IP internals 180deg out so if the rebuilder wasn't paying close attention to the distributor plate pin and slot orientation to the main shaft key (can be easily fit together either way) then the IP can be 180deg out even when the external marks are all lined up...

But first let's get the system purged of air and pumping fuel out the injector hardlines.
That is an interesting thought, certainly possible.

This situation does sound from the running symptoms exactly like timing 180 off. Although I don't see where the external timing was verified yet either, so it could also still be off by just a few degrees somehow. If attention isn't being paid carefully to the position of the notch on the IP pulley flange, it's theoretically possible to set timing with the dial indicator to *any* cylinder's position, not just #1, right?

Agree the process described above by ngoma is the right way to proceed, expanding with a couple more thoughts here:

First, confirm the IP is pumping fuel (without air) and that fuel is getting to injectors. The method for this is to loosen at least one, or in my case preferably all 6, of the injector line union nuts, then crank the engine on the starter. You should quickly start to see fuel squirting out of all 6. If you do, then you're moving fuel just fine. I have seen it commonly be the case with a MityVac where air bubbles appear to exist but are actually just caused by the Mityvac tubing connections. So for now, IF you find you get plenty of fuel delivery to the injectors, I wouldn't worry about some air bubbles and move on to:

Second, confirm the engine is timed to .84mm ON THE #1 CYLINDER by doing the steps posted earlier to verify timing not just to the crankshaft but also to the camshaft (valve cover removal required). External timing is checked this way. If no problem is found with that, then there are some further tests you can do to figure out if internal pump timing is 180deg off as ngoma mentioned.

Since the engine did run at one point, I think you will find fuel delivery OK and the issue is timing.

Then, third and somewhat unrelated, you may still have some kind of issue going on with the starter motor or ignition switch, unless the overheated starter was just from extended cranking during an earlier attempt.