Thread: cambelt query
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: 740 wagon, 164 saloon

hi, i have improved it by centralizing the idler to the pump with a Dremel and the idler now seems square as i have measured it with a straight edge, how accurate this is i am not sure so i couldn't guarantee it isn't still causing the issue. I'm pretty sure the oil pump is still at fault. id like to fit a new one however apparently the tic pumps are slightly different. I can find lt35 ones on ebay but they have a flat face whereas like mine and yours there is a recessed bore for the idler. i may end up taking the pump to a machine shop and getting them to square the bore and dti the outer edge of the idler to ensure its true to the pump. I may have to ally weld it first as you can only remove material. the only other potential cause i can think of is the tensioner as if it is not tight the belt runs true and sits nicely on the cam sprocket. i have a quinten hazel tensioner however i fitted the old litens one and it does the same so im doubtfull its a quality issue. judging by the wear marks/ polished areas on the cam sprocket it seems to have been running slightly off for some time. im planning on firing it up at the weekend and keeping an eye on the belt with someone in the car ready to switch off. if it throws a wobbly ill be on the lookout for a new pump and oem tensioner. FINGERS CROSSED
regards
bob