Thread: cambelt query
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 11:39 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
how can i tell what notch headgasket i have or do i have to measure the thickness of the gasket when the head is removed( i doubt it as it would be compressed). I'm sure there is an indication of the thickness prior to removal that i am not aware of. i understand i can order the same thickness//notch as what is fitted or less if i measure the clearance between the pistons.
Should be able to see the notches (sometimes holes) on the protruding section of the headgasket near under the radiator hose flange. But you can't count on that being the correct thickness for your engine. Even the factory didn't always use the best one. Oftentimes during headgasket R/R the tech would just select the 3-notch to save time but this might give up easy starting, performance, and economy. Better to measure the piston protrusion (above the block deck) as per the greenbook. Tom Bryant likes to run on the edge, even removing layers of a MLS gasket to get it as tight as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
is the head on dowels? if so surely you couldn't move the head.. or is it literally floating on the head studs?
There is quite a bit of slop and moveability side-to-side, front-to-back and rotatability. We make our own locating posts by cutting the heads off a couple of old head bolts and cutting a flathead groove in the top to allow removal with a screwdriver after setting the head.