View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Only plans are to make it a good runner and use it as a DD. The motor is good but the rest of the car is ratty enough that it wouldn't be worth trying to make it cherry.

Just discovered the latest casualty of that damn broken transmission mount... turns out the engine wasn't sitting on the crossmember, but on the power steering rack. And guess what, of course it sat right on top of a metal hydraulic line that runs along the top of the rack and crushed it down. Result? My power steering towards the right is weak, and I have to remove the rack and have it worked over by a hydraulics shop to get it back in shape. $%&*#@%....

Of course, none of this had to happen if the PO had only taken care of the problem before it became so serious. Lesson for us all: if the trans mount on your D24 Volvo is going out, replace it!! The $20 for the mount and an hour's work to install it are well worth it, because all hell breaks loose in many different places in the car if you let it get as bad as mine did. I'm wondering what's the next thing I'll discover that got wrecked by this...