View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764
Default My new/old/half-destroyed $300 '82 245 D24 project

Posted this on Turbobricks but forgot to put it up here as well. Shoulda started here! On Tbricks, all anyone ever says is "+T it"... no appreciation for a nice 78hp naturally-aspirated diesel slug over there. Well, I already have a TD in my other Volvo so this is staying non-turbo for now.

Here are some pics. Cosmetically the car is basically a disaster: exterior is all beat up, paint is shot, lights are all busted, and dirty as hell. Inside similar story, dash is hacked, seats are junk, electricals a mess. However, somehow under all that it appears to be pretty straight and rust-free. I think once it gets a major cleaning-up and something done about the seats it will actually be a nice car. I am impressed by how much luxury stuff it has: power windows, power locks, leather seats and shift boot, A/C, etc. All my past 240s (gassers) have been a lot more basic, manual windows, cloth seats etc. I guess they must have set the Diesels up with GL trim.

Mechanically it seems pretty good. It had a few problems that confirm the PO did not really know Volvo diesels too well, for instance altitude compensation was not hooked up, rear timing belt was too tight, and the guy was running friggin Royal Purple in it?? Gonna drain that snot out as soon as I can get the overtightened and stripped drain plug to turn. Ah, the joys of cheapo busted project cars... The motor mounts are completely shot and there are a few soft hoses and leaking fuel return lines, but other than that the drivetrain seems pretty solid. Supposedly rebuilt at some point by a guy who knew what he was doing. It actually drives OK, at least a lot better than it looks.

I'll post updates as I get the beast cleaned up and back into proper condition. Adjusted the valves last weekend and got the injection pump all calibrated; new motor mounts, new filters and a spool of Viton fuel hose are on the shelf now waiting for some good weather to put them in.

My favorite, 16 cylinders of VW diesel... everyone should have such a delightful collection.
[/QUOTE]