View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default An exhaust-ing search

Hi forumers! A great thread here, thank you.
May I ask a question related to the exhaust system of the d24t?

Can I use the front muffler/silencer from a gasser Volvo 740 (new) on my td car?
Are the d/td muffler any different from what the gassers use(d)?

I have a very hard time finding a setup for my d24t 740 while plenty of options listed for the gasser Volvos.

I removed the entire exhaust system from my car and now I am trying to figure out a proper setup.

Progress is,
Downpipe got cleaned and painted with high heat paint,
Downpipe connector studs at turbo replaced and I am using new copper nuts, flange gasket,
I replaced all rubber hangers and the clamps too along with the bolts and nuts that connect downpipe to the silencer below the glovebox area, new metal sealing 'donut' ring)...
Silencer unit got removed and everything all the way towards the rear end got removed completely.
(Not yet junked except for the rear muffler that rotted out and all piping is toast as well. I kept the front muffler=silencer for now, mainly for reference but the inlet and outlet sides of it are both toast, corrosion and heat ate it up, can not reuse without too much of welding and it would still look bad, dented, and it is probably burnt out. I doubt it can clog but there is residue inside of course lol, blck. )
The rear muffler was a bosal unit (have numbers photographed) and the front silencer was also a bosal unit that says ''volvo 760 turbo- turbodiesel''.

After the removal,

Some experiments followed with the old parts, several variations were tested etc
(downpipe with silencer plus some short pipe
downpipe without silencer with longer pipe
downpipe without silencer but with piping all the way to the back
downpipe with short sidepipes out at the side
downpipe with silencer and short sidepipe out on side
etc)

With mostly all of those experiments, I found the car being too loud for my liking and the power output is literally not changing much no matter what you do.
Maybe the WOT power is a tiny bit better with the all-out straightpipe without the muffler And without the silencer (front muffler)and short piping till appr the rear doors... but it sounded like a dump truck and the vibrations/droning/loudness inside were not pleasant at all.

Also tried removing silencer unit and used rear muffler only but it did drone as well, and it was also loud.

I now prefer the factory setup or something very similar, in look, in size, in length and in routing.

Can I use anything from the gasser (FRONT MUFFLER/SILENCER, REAR MUFFLER)
(yes i know the axle-over pipe and the tailpipe is the same , and i bought those already)

What is the main difference (if any) between the oem gasoline and d/td powered 740 and 760 cars` exhaust system?

Does it really matter what I use? Also, I gotta have both 'mufflers' in NY state, I guess.

MARKINGS ON THE UNITS:

Front silencer unit:

B O S A L
287-947 ALU
EEG-8-84 / 424 - 5303
VOLVO 760 TURBO - TURBO DIESEL

Rear muffler:

B O S A L
235-949 ALU

36 26 NR 6 --this entire line is barely readable, probably not correctly registered!

EEG B (?or 8?) 84/424 5304

NOte: Despite days of searcing, I haven`t seen any silencer units that have a STRAIGHT pipe section like the one I removed, you can see it in my pictures.

This link shows some units and interestingly the cars with different engines share the same rear muffler , AND even the silencer/front muffler. I am confused by this info.)
https://medias-norauto.fr/pdf/Eclate...osal-15784.pdf

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221210-015126.jpg (6.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221210-015141.jpg (21.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221210-013706.jpg (28.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221210-015037.jpg (26.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221210-015415.jpg (5.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 12-09-2022 at 10:08 PM.